Tom's rail trips #3 - Texas Eagle from Chicago to St. Louis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siberianmo

Service Attendant
Greetings!

Time for another installment from my notes of personal train trips - this one is my return from Chicago on May 7th, 2014 aboard the Texas Eagle in lower level roomette #11 . . .

Trip Report

May 7th, 2014

Chicago – St. Louis

Aboard the Texas Eagle #21

Solo

Wednesday, May 7th:

Texas Eagle #21

The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago’s Union Station was jammed to standing room only. There were snacks and beverages available. Within 10 minutes of my arrival aboard Lincoln Service #302, a pre-boarding check was called for bedroom passengers then boarding followed at 1:10 PM.

My bedroom car was the 2nd from the locomotive with “Toni” as my attendant. Had traveled with him on at least 4 other trips; good seeing him again. A very attentive and friendly guy.

The roomette was lower level, #11 on the port side. Amazing – I found a Route Guide at the window; something not always seen on the long distance trains anymore. Also chagrined to note there were no tissues in any of the rooms. Amtrak austerity strikes again!

Equipment:

Locomotive – AMD/PA42 #123

SuperLiner Dormitory #39008

SuperLiner Sleeper #32016

SuperLiner Diner #37014

SuperLiner Sightseer Lounge #33020

SuperLiner Coaches #31039 – 34039 – 34113 - 34061

Decided to have dinner in my room as my hip was beginning to flare up with all of the platform walking to take fotos, etc. Toni was more than willing to take my order which to my surprise turned out to be the 2nd best meal ever experience aboard Amtrak. A turkey dinner smothered in a gravy that was simply outstanding.

Trip was pretty much like the northbound in that we had all sorts of unexplained slow downs and stops – the longest before Joliet supposedly for “paper work” which made absolutely no sense at all; paper work??

The gal taking the dinner reservations – “Stacy” – was also someone traveled with before; last time was aboard the Eagle northbound from Ft. Worth. Very friendly and has her own style with dinner announcements. Added to the pleasure of it all.

Also the guy running the snack bar had some innovative ways of making announcements – a good crew for sure; although I did not detect any smiles or congenial offerings from the Conductor or Assistant – grumps.

A pleasant way to end a long day on the rails – full stomach, nice surroundings with some fine scenery!

Email sent to Amtrak regarding Toni & Stacy along with tissue issues!

Station Departures/Arrival:

Chicago, Illinois On time departure sked – 1:45 PM

Joliet 2:58 – 18 minutes late departing – sked 2:40

Pontiac 3:55 – 28 minutes late departing – sked 3:27

Bloomington 4:43 – 39 minutes late departing – sked 4:04

Normal

Lincoln 5:15 – 38 minutes late departing – sked 4:37

Springfield 5:55 – 41 minutes late departing – sked 5:14

Carlinville 6:32 – 43 minutes late departing – sked 5:49

Alton 7:04 – 42 minutes late departing – sked 6:22

St. Louis, Missouri 7:52 – 31 minutes late arriving – sked 7:21 PM

Home at 8:27 PM

End of Report!

===========================================================================

Oh, almost forgot - I will be traveling on the 14th aboard the Missouri River Runner for a daytime/evening round trip between Kirkwood & Kansas City, MO. Then on the 17th it will be the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Kansas City - flying home as "they" canceled the morning River Runner due to UP track work between KCity and JCity. Oh well . . . Then on the 22nd I will be out of commission for who-knows-how-long - personal stuff. Oh well - again!

==========================================================================

Some fotos to enjoy. Sure wish I could "caption" these - but one day I'll figga it out!

These have not been posted on my web site - yet. When I get-around-tuit, they will have captions!

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures! I want more! Really looking forward to seeing pictures from your Southwest Chief trip. We loved it going from Chicago to LA.... the Kansas City station was a highlight... even if it was after our bedtime! Worth the effort to get out of bed. Actually, the picture my husband took of me there is one of my favorites. I was just gawking.

For: bobnjulie - Thanx for your comments - glad you enjoyed the pix. SW Chief shots will appear first on my web site, but it may take a bit of time to get through 'em all before posting. Last time I traveled that route was in November (east bound) and it was such a great trip that I decided to go for a repeat before attending to some personal matters late next week. Anyway, gawking is what it is all about for those of us who appreciate seeing our country through the windows of a moving train!

Later . . .

Back