Top 10 Rude Behaviors on Trains on Japan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
Thought this was a really interesting article. How do they compare to your experience? Though written with commuter travel in mind, much could apply to Amtrak.

Here's the list followed by the article link:

10. Applying makeup on the train
9. Riding while drunk
8. Leaving trash and empty cans behind
7. Sound leaking from headphones
6. Coughing or sneezing with no regard for surroundings
5. Excessively loud conversations
4. Improper use of smartphones
3. Annoying way of carrying and depositing luggage
2. Rude manners when getting on and off the train
1. Improper manner of sitting

https://soranews24.com/2019/12/26/j...ors-seen-on-trains-and-at-stations-this-year/

Every one of those happens every day on my NJ Transit commutes!:rolleyes:

At one point, they put out postcards all over the train seats listing a few of these as being rude and please stop it. Most of the postcards, of course, ended up as more trash on the train floor.:eek:

Groping and other sexual harassment of women and girls doesn't even make the list???

I just googled this (having an imprecise memory that it was exceedingly frequent in Japan). According to one source, 2/3 of all female Japanese high schoolers reported having been groped on a train.

I traveled through Japan by train. The staff are firm in enforcing the cell phone policy. I was instructed to stand in the vestibule area at the front of the lead car next to the cab area for the engineer. . I moved and made sure not to violate the policy for the duration of my trip.

A side benefit was that the equipment I was traveling on had a window looking forward. I was using FaceTime on my iPhone and showed my friend the view!

Groping and other sexual harassment of women and girls doesn't even make the list???

I just googled this (having an imprecise memory that it was exceedingly frequent in Japan). According to one source, 2/3 of all female Japanese high schoolers reported having been groped on a train.
I think that maybe falls under rule #2. Rude manners getting on or off train

So to be clear, these aren't things that are constantly happening on Japanese trains, rather, when they happen, they are the most critical deviant behaviors. Don't know why groping didn't make the list either unless they only surveyed men...

Amtrak is generally more civilized than local subways, commuters.

If you had a top five for Amtrak, what would they be?

1. Sitting offenses. Manspreading on unreserved trains is horrible
2. Inability of passengers to keep a clean restroom
3. Loud/obnoxious/drunk behavior in coach
4. Loud/obnoxious/drunk behavior in lounge
5. Crew manspreading in lounge/cafe

So to be clear, these aren't things that are constantly happening on Japanese trains, rather, when they happen, they are the most critical deviant behaviors. Don't know why groping didn't make the list either unless they only surveyed men...

Amtrak is generally more civilized than local subways, commuters.

If you had a top five for Amtrak, what would they be?

1. Sitting offenses. Manspreading on unreserved trains is horrible
2. Inability of passengers to keep a clean restroom
3. Loud/obnoxious/drunk behavior in coach
4. Loud/obnoxious/drunk behavior in lounge
5. Crew manspreading in lounge/cafe
Could we all please refrain from using the word "manspreading?" I understand what's being described, but I find the use of that particular word to be sexist and offensive. I've seen women engaged in similar behavior, so I think a gender-neutral term ahould be devised for it.

I find these a greater problem of air travel.
Tighter confines exacerbate every one of those issues listed.

Could we all please refrain from using the word "manspreading?" I understand what's being described, but I find the use of that particular word to be sexist and offensive. I've seen women engaged in similar behavior, so I think a gender-neutral term ahould be devised for it.

Totally agree. This verbiage makes it seem as if only men can be offensive on trains. Not true.

I see many more young women than young men with their feet up on the seats (often with their shoes off). I also see many more women (of all ages) than men putting on their makeup (thank goodness:D).

They seem to be about equal in throwing their trash on the floor and talking loudly on the phone.

I only have three:
1. Watching phone videos with the sound on
2. Complaining incessantly for an 8-14 hour trip
3. Letting children roam around the train unsupervised

My favorite, and it hasn't happened in a long time, is sitting next to a physician who decides to use his Amtrak Northeast Regional coach seat as a rent-free office and who telephones all his patients with the results of their lab tests and such. Aside from being a blatant violation of HIPAA, I really don't want to have to hear stuff like, "Mr. Smith, we just got the results of your STD tests back, and what the hell were you doing on that trip to Vegas?"

As you can imagine, I'm a big fan of the quiet car concept.

Groping and other sexual harassment of women and girls doesn't even make the list??? I just googled this (having an imprecise memory that it was exceedingly frequent in Japan). According to one source, 2/3 of all female Japanese high schoolers reported having been groped on a train.
In the past the act of chikan (public molestation) was often hidden, ignored, and swept under the rug. Today women-only cars and signs instructing normally quiet and reserved passengers to publicly identify anyone touching someone against their will are common. This initiative has flipped the script to target the perpetrator with judgement and shaming instead of the victim. I do not doubt that attacks still occur despite these changes, but it's difficult for me to square claims of rampant molestation with the demonstrable reality that Japanese children are still allowed and expected to ride trains alone and without adult supervision. Are the claims exaggerated or do Japanese parents simply refuse to believe reality?

I traveled through Japan by train. The staff are firm in enforcing the cell phone policy.
Texting is okay but voice calling on Japanese trains is a major faux pas. If you don't have an international texting plan you can use apps such as Line on trains that feature WiFi access.

Manspreading on unreserved trains is horrible
For every horrible "manspreader" there's an equally obnoxious purse protector or sticky shoe resting teenybopper. Which is why it's probably best to avoid singling out one gender for something as universal as poor manners.

Last edited:
In the past the act of chikan (public molestation) was often hidden, ignored, and swept under the rug. Today women-only cars and signs instructing normally quiet and reserved passengers to publicly identify anyone touching someone against their will are common. This initiative has flipped the script to target the perpetrator with judgement and shaming instead of the victim. I do not doubt that attacks still occur despite these changes, but it's difficult for me to square claims of rampant molestation with the demonstrable reality that Japanese children are still allowed and expected to ride trains alone and without adult supervision. Are the claims exaggerated or do Japanese parents simply refuse to believe reality?

Children in many places are often reluctant to report a LOT of things to their parents, including inappropriate sexual behavior and assault. That's certainly long been true in the US--although perhaps that's now changing in the wake of #metoo. Thanks for the info about Japan.

Back