Toronto Airport train suspended

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UP Express train service between Toronto's Union Station and Pearson Airport has been suspended. The problem was initially reported to be for track work this weekend, with buses filling in. Many insiders knew this was not the case and the actual cause - cracked brakes on the Nippon-Sharyo rolling stock - is now being reported:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-up-express-pearson-airport-suspended/
Although the service is run by the same agency as Toronto's GO Transit, there is no spare single-level equipment sitting around that could substitute and it was not even clear in one report if a locomotive-hauled short consist could meet weight and clearance requirements. This is going to be a mess unless a solution is found quickly.

The UP Express train service between Toronto's Union Station and Pearson Airport has been suspended. The problem was initially reported to be for track work this weekend, with buses filling in. Many insiders knew this was not the case and the actual cause - cracked brakes on the Nippon-Sharyo rolling stock - is now being reported:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-up-express-pearson-airport-suspended/
Although the service is run by the same agency as Toronto's GO Transit, there is no spare single-level equipment sitting around that could substitute and it was not even clear in one report if a locomotive-hauled short consist could meet weight and clearance requirements. This is going to be a mess unless a solution is found quickly.
That's an interesting question regarding weight and clearance requirements. For the Denver Union Station project (I was told) we were required to build the ramps strong enough to carry locomotives, even though there was no plan at the time for their use.

If that is the case in TO, would they be able to run service weekends and holidays with borrowed equipment?

That's an interesting question regarding weight and clearance requirements. For the Denver Union Station project (I was told) we were required to build the ramps strong enough to carry locomotives, even though there was no plan at the time for their use.
I'm not sure Toronto's planners were as prescient.

Service alert on UP Express website posted yesterday states that for the rest of the week they will be operating a 30 minute (frequency) train service.

(A couple of days ago I purchased my CAN $6.20 senior single fare from Pearson to Union station for when I fly in from the UK in June !!)

Thirty minute frequency is better than nothing. Someone who flew here from Toronto reported bustitution was still in effect on Monday. (For those not familiar with the geography, the bus route has to travel on two of the busiest highways in Toronto and lengthy rush hour delays were part of the reason for UP in the first place.)

Thirty minute frequency is better than nothing. Someone who flew here from Toronto reported bustitution was still in effect on Monday. (For those not familiar with the geography, the bus route has to travel on two of the busiest highways in Toronto and lengthy rush hour delays were part of the reason for UP in the first place.)
I think thirty minute frequency might be better than the SEPTA Airport line in Philly.

Back