Tower 55 in Fort Worth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the maps.live thing, depending on how much you zoom in and out, and pan from and to the station, you can see up to three full Amtrak trains in station! I'm guessing A Heartland Flyer (cab car sort of gives it away) and two Texas Eagles. The schedules for all three definitely allow that to happen!

Great video of Tower 55. Also nice photos of Ft. Worth yards and Amtrak station. Looking forward to arriving there in a week or so. :p

Hope we have time to explore the station and some photos of the traffic. Anything interesting to do within walking distance of the depot while we wait? :unsure:

Railroad Bill

Hope we have time to explore the station and some photos of the traffic. Anything interesting to do within walking distance of the depot while we wait? :unsure: Railroad Bill
You can wander downtown Fort Worth from the station without any difficulty. Lots of shops, a revitalized downtown, cowboy art museum on Main St, and a generally nice atmosphere. I would suggest printing out this map and a guide. The station is actually 9th & Jones, not where depicted. It is all easy walking, and if you want, try the local bus service - I think it is still free in the downtown area - because they all stop at the same place as the AMTRAK.

There is actually a visitor booth in the station, sometimes staffed, that can offer guide maps or suggestion to suit your tourist desires.

There is really not much train-wise to photo from the station however.

Have fun

Great video of Tower 55. Also nice photos of Ft. Worth yards and Amtrak station. Looking forward to arriving there in a week or so. :p
Hope we have time to explore the station and some photos of the traffic. Anything interesting to do within walking distance of the depot while we wait? :unsure:

Railroad Bill
You could hop on TRE and go one stop south and check out the old T&P Station.

You could hop on TRE and go one stop south and check out the old T&P Station.
The only problem with that is to my best recollection, there are zero services at the T&P, limited walking around availability except the large art deco waiting room [with cafe counter at one end and 'colored waiting room' all still intact] <--- ain't that some history). Not much else on that end of downtown, yet. Here is a map - and if you walk, check out the Water Gardens along the way.

And the wait between TRE arrival and TRE departure will be :30-:45 before you return.

check out this Texas and Pacific site or directly to the T&P Fort Worth pictures

Are you arriving on the Eagle and transferring to the Heartland (or other way).

If you have at least 2-3 hours, check out the Flying Saucer at 111 E. 4th St, an easy walk from the station (if you need to store a grip or 2, the agent will do so for a small fee). They have about 200 varieties of beer and the chow is good too.

Thanks to all for the great advice. We will be riding the TE on our way to SAS and then to LAX. Wont have a lot of time in the station area but perhaps we can wonder around a little before the train leaves. I understand there is a 45 minute layover if TE is on time. :)

But when that horn blows twice we want to be safely back on :p

Thanks to those who provided maps. Will put them in my travel satchel for reference on the train.

Best wishes

Railroad Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back