Train 1003 of March 11

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatelouse

OBS Chief
An Amtrak puzzler for anyone interested.

Train 3 departing Chicago on March 11 is "canceled" and replaced by train 1003. Who/what's to blame?

(Hint: no inside knowledge is required)

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point along the route, there will be two trains of #3 on the same day. So one is #3 and the other is #1003.
3 is "canceled" that day. There is only 1003.

I expect it has to do with daylight savings time, which begins the following morning.
Agree, but no other Western LDT is being renumbered like this westbound SWC. Not even the eastbound SWC.

I'm guessing that because it passes thru Arizona. As for the rest of the overnight trains, I'm guessing it will automatically lose an hour.
Yup, overnight trains will all lose an hour...including 1003.

As for Arizona: The SL of March 11 also originates before the DST change and also passes through Arizona on Sunday after DST begins. This is still train 1, not 1001.

Train #1 operates only 3 times a week, thus there are no two trains #1 on the same day.

As far as train #3, while it is true that #3 was "cancelled" on the 11th, when it gets to some point on its journey, there may be a day where there are 2 trains scheduled to arrive the same day.

Just using it as an example, my son is arriving in Kingman, AZ on 3/12 on train #3. But there is one at 12:27 am and one at 11:27 pm that day. Which is he on? :huh: With one being #3 and the other being #1003, it's easy to know..

As already correctly answered, this is to accommodate Daylight Saving Time. #3 is simply renumbered #1003 to avoid two trains with the same number on the same day at station(s). This issue is specific to Arizona as they do not participate in Daylight Saving Time.

Train #1 operates only 3 times a week, thus there are no two trains #1 on the same day.

As far as train #3, while it is true that #3 was "cancelled" on the 11th, when it gets to some point on its journey, there may be a day where there are 2 trains scheduled to arrive the same day.

Just using it as an example, my son is arriving in Kingman, AZ on 3/12 on train #3. But there is one at 12:27 am and one at 11:27 pm that day. Which is he on? :huh: With one being #3 and the other being #1003, it's easy to know..

You hit the nail on the head. It has to due with Daylight Savings time and AZ. KNG is a perfect example and 1 will not be impacted since it is not a daily train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it's still the case or not, but the BNSF numbered all LD passenger trains with a prefix of "100". So, the Empire Builder to dispatchers was, for example, 1007/1008. You'll occasionally still hear those numbers when monitoring the radio in some places.

An Amtrak puzzler for anyone interested.

Train 3 departing Chicago on March 11 is "canceled" and replaced by train 1003. Who/what's to blame?

(Hint: no inside knowledge is required)

I note that in fact, eastbound and westbound Builders, Zephyrs and Chiefs are all numbered similarly for Saturday's departures. In the case of trains 5 and 6, they are numbered 1105 and 1106. The others are all just 100#.

Back