Train #11 hits truck in Oakland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Train #11 that departed Seattle on 3/17 hit a truck that was parked too close the tracks in Oakland this morning, just before 9 AM. Nobody was seriously injured.

The report said it's left after an hour, but that's not true. It's estimated to arrive into San jose at 3:08PM on the Amtrak app.

Heres the article, Fiery Amtrak Crash: Train Hits Vehicle On Tracks In Oakland

Note: It was NOT at Jack London Square, they had already departed Oakland. According to transit docs, it's not sitting just north of Jack London Square.

Video of the event, as well as a shot of #58 afterward. Looks like the engineer absolutely had a close call! Proof on why I've heard advice to duck under the dash before colliding and hold on dearly.

The truck in question was a contractor for the railroad. He was cleaning up the ROW. He was leave the ROW and attempting to get back into the roadway when he got stuck, and then struck.

The truck in question was a contractor for the railroad. He was cleaning up the ROW. He was leave the ROW and attempting to get back into the roadway when he got stuck, and then struck.
Then he wasn't clear so the Amtrak train should have been a slow order or stopped. If he said he was clear before getting back on the road, he was in the wrong. If he hadn't reported clear, it's the dispatcher's fault for not stopping Amtrak.

Then he wasn't clear so the Amtrak train should have been a slow order or stopped. If he said he was clear before getting back on the road, he was in the wrong. If he hadn't reported clear, it's the dispatcher's fault for not stopping Amtrak.
From what I heard, he was there to pick up trash on the tracks, and while either leaving or coming up he got stuck.

I would assume he tried to move it, and then the gates came down. He said he waved at the train to stop it but that it wouldn't stop for him.

I don't think he had a direct line to the dispatcher or railroad (other than the one posted at the crossing, of course, which nobody called)

From what I heard, he was there to pick up trash on the tracks, and while either leaving or coming up he got stuck.

I would assume he tried to move it, and then the gates came down. He said he waved at the train to stop it but that it wouldn't stop for him.

I don't think he had a direct line to the dispatcher or railroad (other than the one posted at the crossing, of course, which nobody called)
He was working on the tracks and no notification that he was there? How would he be allowed to do that? As to parking too close, again, was he allowed to park that close? If not, we he told to keep his vehicle well away from the tracks or was anyone notified he was there?

I repeat - either his negligence or that of the company who hired him and possibly the dispatcher or management that allowed it to be done without proper procedure.

He was working on the tracks and no notification that he was there? How would he be allowed to do that? As to parking too close, again, was he allowed to park that close? If not, we he told to keep his vehicle well away from the tracks or was anyone notified he was there?

I repeat - either his negligence or that of the company who hired him and possibly the dispatcher or management that allowed it to be done without proper procedure.
I'm not sure, just what I've heard.

Although, based on him trying to stop the train by simply waving at it and then saying "It wouldn't stop for me" (or along the lines of), I would guess that it'd be more on his part.

No direct knowledge, but a litter crew might not have “track and time”. They might of been told to stay away from the track while cleaning up the ROW. Heck did the railroad even know there was a truck doing this? They could of contract for personal to remove the trash, and the contractor on there own accord had a truck there.

"Stuck 'n Struck" sounds like a catchy name for a business. I'm not sure what kind of business so let imagination run wild! You might want to register that trademark :cool:

The two P42s that were on this train, AMTK 58 and 73, are the third and fourth units on Amtrak #6(18) due to arrive in Chicago later today (May 20). Here are a couple videos of this eastbound California Zephyr where some big gashes in 73's right side can be seen.

Video by Adam Ghimenti at Sacramento.

Video by Daniel Gresham at Omaha. Close-up of 73's damage is just after the 2:00 mark.

Back