Train 20 Crescent north/eastbound meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SouthernDrifter

Hello Everyone,

I am taking Train 20, the Crescent, from New Orleans to New York soon.

My question is: Exactly which meals are served in Sleeper class for the trip?

Amtrak's website says the Eastbound gets Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, but the train schedule doesn't seem to mesh with this, leaving New Orleans at 9:15am and arriving at 5:48pm the next day.

Can anyone who has actually taken this train recently comment on what they experienced?

I'd like to plan my food bring-along...

Thanks for the assist on what seems to be a very basic question, as I am still new to Amtrak travel.

Dining will reheated Flex meals on the Crescent. Basically frozen dinners that aren't great to start with and quality further depends on the care with which they're reheated.

I've haven't ridden the Crescent on the current schedule, but my guess is on this schedule meals will be:
Lunch
Dinner
Breakfast
Lunch
(Dinner?)

9:15 is very, very late in normal breakfast service hours, which ends at 9:30. Dinner service for a 5:48 pm arrival is possible but I don't think likely.

Frankly, the meal list sounds like it was for the previous schedule when it left New Orleans at 7:00 am and was scheduled to arrive New York at 1:46 pm. That doesn't surprise me, the website often has outdated information.

We just returned from this round trip, except we drove to Picayune, MS to board to avoid spending the night in NOL. We boarded at 10:37 am. We had Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, and Lunch . We got off in Baltimore. Coming back we had dinner, breakfast, lunch and dinner . The Flex meals aren't too bad, but not nearly as good as the Dining car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back