Train 3 detour?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I watched on VR Cam and the Chief departed Galesburg on the RR line to Quincy, IL. I'm not sure if there is a connection to the trans con to Ft. Madison but they lost no time departing that direction.

Tonight I watched on VR Cam and the Chief departed Galesburg on the RR line to Quincy, IL. I'm not sure if there is a connection to the trans con to Ft. Madison but they lost no time departing that direction.
There is a connection, they joined back to their normal route a few miles (I think) later. Just not sure why.

On another note, I saw it arrive at La Plata

Looks like train 3 is detouring, not sure why.

View attachment 21250
Did you notice that the route shown (with the dark line) for the SWC is slightly inaccurate? It actually crosses over to ex-SantaFe at Cameron where you see the link between CB&Q and SantaFe. The place where the branching is shown is impossible because it is an under/over pass, i.e. grade separated crossing between the two trunk lines.

Its the same route the Quincy train takes in and out of Galesburg. The route also loops around back to the main line.

Did you notice that the route shown (with the dark line) for the SWC is slightly inaccurate? It actually crosses over to ex-SantaFe at Cameron where you see the link between CB&Q and SantaFe. The place where the branching is shown is impossible because it is an under/over pass, i.e. grade separated crossing between the two trunk lines.
Yeah, funny it shows the actual Cameron Connection, but doesn't show that the routing uses it!

Yes, I have noticed that.

Back