Train 49 NYP-CHI Viewliner Orientation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
How are the NYP-CHI Viewliners oriented on 49 while leaving NYP? Are the bedrooms fore or aft of the roomettes? Also, anyone got info on what these consists are like lately? I understand they're different in the winter. We'll be travelling in mid-March so jus' wonderin'. I think the NY cars get flipped around at Albany when it connects to 449? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are the NYP-CHI Viewliners oriented on 49 while leaving NYP? Are the bedrooms fore or aft of the roomettes? Also, anyone got info on what these consists are like lately? I understand they're different in the winter. We'll be travelling in mid-March so jus' wonderin'. I think the NY cars get flipped around at Albany when it connects to 449? Thanks.
The 449 section is running as a stub train, so the entire consist is operating from NYP as train 49. Until further notice, all three sleepers are on the head end, with the bedrooms aft.

The vestibule end of a viewliner will be set up leading to the diner. It's been a while since the Albany join has taken place, and it looks like at least a few more months before it comes back.

February 1 was the planned date for the return date of the Boston thru cars, but apparently, it has been moved back to April 1--no fooling :lol:

Hallo

I (from Europe) try to understand the meaning what is written above. We will travel (NY-Chicago) in room 1 car 4911 mid-

March. Is it right that before the change of 1april our room will be at the left (Hudson) side?

Than we have luck!!

Is car 4911 the second car from the diner?

Thanks!

Hallo,

What a interesting forumcommunity this is!! (Sorry for mistakes in my English)

In relation to my last question:

If our room would not be on the Hudson-side, would it not be rude to ask the sleepingcar-attendent if there is still a an empty roomette at the Hudson-side to sit there for example between NY and Albany after removing (as I remember) the clean unused pillows in that room?? If so I think the attendant deserves a tip! How much? (as we Europeans are not so used to tipping).

Thanks

Mid March, depending on the weather the Hudson River side of the train may not be quite as scenic as it is most of the year. Better than the other side, yes, but nothing like Summer or Autumn. If there is still a great deal of ice, only the boats that have to be out on the river will be there, in the nice weather, pleasure craft abound in certain areas.

If you find that your room is not on the side of the Hudson, one possibility might be to go to the lounge car and get a table on that side. Not as comfortable as being in your roomette, for sure, but it's an option if the scenery is of prime importance to you. But then, you would miss Marist College in Poughkeepsie, which is on the right side of the train. :)

Hallo,

What a interesting forumcommunity this is!! (Sorry for mistakes in my English)

In relation to my last question:

If our room would not be on the Hudson-side, would it not be rude to ask the sleepingcar-attendent if there is still a an empty roomette at the Hudson-side to sit there for example between NY and Albany after removing (as I remember) the clean unused pillows in that room?? If so I think the attendant deserves a tip! How much? (as we Europeans are not so used to tipping).

Thanks
It would not be rude to ask to use a vacant roomette. There is no guaranty that your request would be granted. If the attendant agreed to it you could offer a tip of a few dollars but I would not tip for this specific request but consider a larger tip at the end of the trip if the service level was what I expected. Maybe a better request would be to ask if you could be moved to another roomette for the entire trip. I've done that before but have also been told no before too.

Also remember that the passengers out of NYP are encouraged to eat between NYP and ALB while rolling up the Hudson( remember the scene in "North by Northwest" on the 20th Century when Roger and Eve are in tbe Diner) so that the Boston passengers and others getting on have the later slots in the Diner.

And #49 also passes through the grounds of Sing Sing Prison on the way ( actually it goes through a trench)so look for that if its a clear, sunny day!

Hallo

I (from Europe) try to understand the meaning what is written above. We will travel (NY-Chicago) in room 1 car 4911 mid-

March. Is it right that before the change of 1april our room will be at the left (Hudson) side?

Than we have luck!!

Is car 4911 the second car from the diner?

Thanks!
4911 seems to be next to the diner these days.

jis makes a great point....especially now when they pull the extra sleeper up from NY and it is empty until Albany anyway....
The sleepers are not always empty until ALB now that it runs out of NYP.

Hallo. Wenn ich Recht Zimmer erscheint nicht auf dem Hudson River Seite sein. Ich finde es nicht unhöflich zu fragen, ob Sie in einem anderen Raum für einige Zeit zu sitzen. Ich weiß, wenn ich reiten die 98 Ich kann so oft wie ich will, zu bewegen. Sie könnten auch an thr cafe Auto zu bewegen oder zu Abend essen im Diner . Ihr Abendessen ist im Preis des Zimmers inbegriffen. Persönlich würde ich thr Steak empfehlen. Sie werden mit anderen Reisenden im Diner , die faszinierend sein kann sitzen. Je früher Sie kommen im Diner die bessere Chance, Flussseite Sitze. sicher sein, ein Reisebericht zu schreiben und per Post . Willkommen nach Amerika und herzlich willkommen zum Amtrak . Tschüss

February 1 was the planned date for the return date of the Boston thru cars, but apparently, it has been moved back to April 1--no fooling :lol:
If the Silver Star Diner experience is of any relevance, the next significant message would be the "permanent removal" of the through cars from Boston, with the shuttle becoming permanent. I hope not, but this is Amtrak and you can never tell for sure.

Yeah, there seems to be a little bit of brain-damage at Amtrak right now. I wouldn't worry too much because they literally can't restore the through cars until they get more of the trackwork done at Albany and they can't do the trackwork with the ground frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back