Train 5 re-route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone take the Amtrak bus from Denver to Salt Lake City due to track repair? Train 5 will be missing those station on-route for a week. If so does Amtrak offer any type of point refund if trip was done with points for a bedroom.

I don't think there's a bus from Denver to SLC. You'd just be taking a detour, on the train, through Wyoming.

You are correct the train is going thru Wy. But I was supposed to p/u train 5 in Denver. Hence the bus to SLC. Bummer.

You are correct the train is going thru Wy. But I was supposed to p/u train 5 in Denver. Hence the bus to SLC. Bummer.
The train will stop at Denver. It then heads north through Greeley to Wyoming, then west through Laramie, Rawlings and Rock Springs to Ogden UT, then south to Salt Lake. There are no passenger stops between Denver and Salt Lake City (possibly one smoke break at Green River UT), but passengers from Denver to points Salt Lake City and west certainly can board the train.

My wife and I are headed to Glenwood springs on this leg. We then have to take the Amtrak bus from GS to SLC later this week. Fun

The CZ seems to detour thru Wyoming on a somewhat regular basis during trackwork on the old D&RGW route.....but I don't notice it doing the same thru the Sierra's on the old WP Feather River route....wonder why, or did I miss it doing that?

The wife and myself will be on #6 next week - DAV to LNK. Does doing the detour add time to the route, ie, should be we planning on arriving in LNK later than what the schedule says? [this is assuming that if #5 is being rerouted that likewise #6 will be - is that a valid assumption??]

The Wyoming route is actually faster than the regular route.

(This is why, if Colorado and Utah ever decided to rain piles of money on Amtrak, I'd advise Amtrak to run the California Zephyr on the Wyoming route, and a standalone Denver-Salt Lake train on the route through the mountains.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wyoming route is actually faster than the regular route.

(This is why, if Colorado and Utah ever decided to rain piles of money on Amtrak, I'd advise Amtrak to run the California Zephyr on the Wyoming route, and a standalone Denver-Salt Lake train on the route through the mountains.)
So... #6 getting into LNK 4-6 hrs late for the last week is for other reasons? [and thanks for the heads up w/re Wyoming route being faster... didn't realize such.]

I was going to go on a train on that route, but I was told that I was going to ride the bus from SLC to DEN alongside the regular train route. Are the buses good quality? And do they have Wifi? I was planning on getting work done on the train but since I'm on the bus I'll have to make adjustments if they don't offer it.

I was going to go on a train on that route, but I was told that I was going to ride the bus from SLC to DEN alongside the regular train route. Are the buses good quality? And do they have Wifi? I was planning on getting work done on the train but since I'm on the bus I'll have to make adjustments if they don't offer it.
Are you doing non-stop SLC to DEN or are you stopping/staying at one of the towns along the way? If non-stop, you'd be taking the train, through Wyoming. The train does not have wifi, but the way.

BTW - just got off the phone with an Amtrak agent: looks like #5/#6 will be back to the "regular" route starting on the departs of the 26th.... as much as I would have liked to see a new set of tracks, the wife hasn't seen the Gore Canyon nor Glenwood etc... so it looks like, unless the maintenance extends, she will :)

No I'm going all the way, but they told me that I was going to be taking a bus when I called them.

And thank you for telling me that! that's good to know:)

No I'm going all the way, but they told me that I was going to be taking a bus when I called them.

And thank you for telling me that! that's good to know:)
Well, I could be wrong... Guess you'll find out when you "board".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back