Train #90 to be terminated

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Real busy, but had to post this.

Word has it that the Palmetto will stop running on the 28th from Miami and will now start from Tampa or Savannah, Ga.

All coaches will now be inspected in Miami, instead of Bear PDF, starting March 15.

Will fill in as I get the news!

B)

Miami Joe said:
Real busy, but had to post this.
Word has it that the Palmetto will stop running on the 28th from Miami and will now start from Tampa or Savannah, Ga.

All coaches will now be inspected in Miami, instead of Bear PDF, starting March 15.

Will fill in as I get the news!

B)
Why the changes, I'm sorry to hear this. Is it only temporary, or permanent, and would it be changed if/when it regains sleepers? I hope that if it does happen, they let it run to TPA, or at least allow one train (or both Silver) to add a TPA section until this can be changed.

A service cut is NOT going to help that Train. What about 89, wouldn't that be affected too?

Thanks for the update Joe.

Yes, didn't the Meteor do so too? I though for a brief time before the Silver Star, the Palmetto ran to JAX, maybe even TPA for a little while. Wouldn't the Meteor work better, as it would cover the Palmetto's Route through the Carolina's and has a more convenient running time around Jacksonville, and would befit the TPA Passengers? (12:42 (97) vs. 8:20 (91) and 3:45 PM (98) vs. 7:10 PM (92))

I don't know now, the Star might be better for TPA Passengers though.

Opinions?

IF this is all true, then there would have to be a major restructuring of Silver Service once again. Should the Palmetto have Savannah as its southern terminus (as it once did), then that would leave Ocala, Wildwood, Dade City, Tampa, and Lakeland unserved unless one of the other Silver Service trains is rerouted or split at Jacksonville. Since no 180-day termination notices have gone out to the people of these cities, some level of service will have to be maintained. Having Tampa as the southern terminus of the Palmetto seems possible, although that means reopening the crew/maintenance base there, since deadheading the train to Hialeah would be a costly move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back