Train car in odd position

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly. I can't tell if it is a self-propelled car. If it was in a consist under way, and the rest of the train made it through properly, (let's say this was the last car), surely this car would have been derailed at the least, and maybe dragged along as well???? So maybe staged is the only explanation?

I’m guessing staged. Nobody in the picture looks hurt or even all that upset.

Probably low budget, too. Only three people in the scene.
I could see something like this happening at a rail museum doing a slow speed move through a wonky switch, and they quite possibly could stop before the car derailed, and there might be only 3 volunteers in the area at the time (or 4 -- one to take the picture on his phone.)

And typically, they would all stand around staring at it, saying, "Gosh, what do we do now?" :)

I could see something like this happening at a rail museum doing a slow speed move through a wonky switch, and they quite possibly could stop before the car derailed, and there might be only 3 volunteers in the area at the time (or 4 -- one to take the picture on his phone.)

And typically, they would all stand around staring at it, saying, "Gosh, what do we do now?" :)
The guy in the foreground is on his phone, probably asking that very question. :oops::rolleyes: (Or else submitting his resignation. :))

Any idea of what kind of car it is?

I have done this on my model railroad many times accidentally.

Typically a train runs over a converging switch that is set the other way, but the switch is spring-loaded so the train gets through without a problem, or maybe just hobbles over the top. Then I stop the train and reverse it. Then the cars that have already passed the switch go one way and those not yet past it go the other way.

While a bit OT, There is a photo series in John Labbe's "Railroads in the Woods" showing reversing a logging skidder by pulling the brake rigging, then sending one truck up a side track. Can be done. Should be done???

Back