Train from New Orleans to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celtical

Train Attendant
Leaving for New Orleans in a few weeks, flying down, train back to Chicago-Detroit, then find my way from Dearborn to the tunnel to Windsor where my car will be.

Took the train the other way last year and reserved a sleeper. The advice I received on this forum about the food was correct. All the meals were excellent and served

on white linen by profesional staff. Enjoyed having the sleeper cabin it was a good place to rest and have a beer while looking at the great countryside.

Booked a cabin again and I am looking forward to this part of my trip.

I can't say enough about New Orleans. The people, the weather, the food and the music were first class. Never had or saw any problems and met many nice local

people.

Celtical

Leaving for New Orleans in a few weeks, flying down, train back to Chicago-Detroit, then find my way from Dearborn to the tunnel to Windsor where my car will be.

Took the train the other way last year and reserved a sleeper. The advice I received on this forum about the food was correct. All the meals were excellent and served

on white linen by profesional staff. Enjoyed having the sleeper cabin it was a good place to rest and have a beer while looking at the great countryside.

Booked a cabin again and I am looking forward to this part of my trip.

I can't say enough about New Orleans. The people, the weather, the food and the music were first class. Never had or saw any problems and met many nice local

people.

Celtical
Taking the CONO 2 weeks from tomorrow...St. Paul-Chicago-New Orleans, then return 5 days later. I am getting hyped by the hour for the trip! It will be my first Amtrak experience, going to be a blast I am sure.

I am sharing a roomette on the ride back...I will be sure to give an account of my adventure when I return!

If anybody has taken the CONO lately I would love to hear your thoughts!

Have a good day y'all!

DaBrilloman

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool: Taking a LD Train to New Orleans, it Doesnt Get Much Better than that! :wub:

We're Envious!!! :p
I'm not so sure about that. Last I took the Crescent to NOL, I ran into a "bad district" with the obvious detractions, then went into town to find dirty streets, dirty buses, and a poor hotel. No, it was not for Mardi Gras.

As far as I know, the CONO does not have Enhanced Dining Service.

:cool: Taking a LD Train to New Orleans, it Doesnt Get Much Better than that! :wub:

I'm not so sure about that. Last I took the Crescent to NOL, I ran into a "bad district" with the obvious detractions, then went into town to find dirty streets, dirty buses, and a poor hotel. No, it was not for Mardi Gras.

As we say here YMMV, but Ive always found the Food on the Sunset, Crescent and City Pretty Tasty and You are Going to a city with Some of the best Food in the World!!! :wub: !!(Love that Bourbon Pecan Pie!! :wub: ),I will say the Tracks are a Little Rough in Tennessee and Mississippi,but the Entrance into New Orleans on All the LD trains is Spectacular! :excl: :excl: :excl: and New Orleans has always been a Blast! Guess it depends on which Hotel you stay in, and What and Where you Go for Fun, but I stay away from Bourbon Street and Rowdy Bars (Im Old! :giggle: ) and think New Orleans is our Most Unique City! (Better than the City by the Bay even!! :eek: :p )Sorry you had a bummer trip, all Cities have Places that arent Pleasant! :(

I've already told the kids, the next time I can scrape together enough points/dollars, we are going to experience "In the Heart of the Night" New Orleans, Lake Pontchartrain and we are going to arrive there by rail.. so.. I hope you post a review after your trip and let us know how it was!! :)

As we say here YMMV, but Ive always found the Food on the Sunset, Crescent and City Pretty Tasty and You are Going to a city with Some of the best Food in the World!!! :wub: !!(Love that Bourbon Pecan Pie!! :wub: ),I will say the Tracks are a Little Rough in Tennessee and Mississippi,but the Entrance into New Orleans on All the LD trains is Spectacular! :excl: :excl: :excl: and New Orleans has always been a Blast! Guess it depends on which Hotel you stay in, and What and Where you Go for Fun, but I stay away from Bourbon Street and Rowdy Bars (Im Old! :giggle: ) and think New Orleans is our Most Unique City! (Better than the City by the Bay even!! :eek: :p )Sorry you had a bummer trip, all Cities have Places that arent Pleasant! :(
Living in The City By the Bay, I do have to admit that I love visiting New Orleans - for the food, the music, and the incredible attitude even in the face of so many challenges. Since the 1970's, I have stayed at Le Richelieu in the Quarter but off the beaten track and great value for the cost - http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/.

We will be heading to NOL via Crescent in mid April and returning on the CONO a week later. Tall Ships Week in New Orleans should be a treat and of course nothing beats NOL food and riding the streetcars. Can hardly wait :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back