Train Host/Station Host

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who used to work at a tourist train both on-board and at the station I always thought it was a really weird thing when people asked me if I was paid to be there or a volunteer. Was a pretty common question actually.

It's one of the most common questions I get as well. I was and still am one of the few paid staff members on board at our line. I honestly don't think our volunteers even realize that there are five of us who are paid to be on board. Back when I worked on the main line steam programs I generally tried to keep my employment status on the down low because I felt guilty being paid while others weren't.

I would not feel bad about being paid.

The full time staff at the Sci Center do not get paid much (though I think the Exec Dir makes VERY good money and maybe the top two of three are in that level of salary.) Otherwise the pay is not great. My pay as part-time is even worse, but it is one of the few jobs that I can do some school work while I operate the planetarium, which is more digital theater than anything. The volunteers get even less, obviously, but they pretty much set their own schedule it seems and though there are minimum commitments I think a good bit of the hours they work is open and flexible. They do get a free membership to the Sci Center which also gets them into other museums and zoos for free or reduced price.

I am pretty sensitive to the needs of labor and working folk. I am very pro-union but if the volunteer is not taking a job away and/or the funding is there for payment of wages but instead is being used to pay a select few that much more then I would not be in the "feel bad" zone.

I imagine I am in a paid position also for the fact that I am working with equipment that to replace would be close to a million dollars since we have a 3-D projector, full dome, and laser to operate. That is a lot to treat correctly for long life.

Last edited:
Amtrak could most probably operate more efficiently without the constraints of labor union contracts. I simply don't see any virtue in having labor unions mandate work rules (that's management's job) and artificial wage rates, not to mention making it difficult to fire malingerers and those with bad attitudes that should never have been in customer-facing work in the first place.

As far as wage rates are concerned, the most efficient method of attracting quality help has to be the market; letting labor supply and demand set wage rates.

I have to believe the financial position of Amtrak would significantly improve if it were not for the labor union contracts that it somehow became involved with.

Amtrak could most probably operate more efficiently without the constraints of labor union contracts. I simply don't see any virtue in having labor unions mandate work rules (that's management's job) and artificial wage rates, not to mention making it difficult to fire malingerers and those with bad attitudes that should never have been in customer-facing work in the first place.

As far as wage rates are concerned, the most efficient method of attracting quality help has to be the market; letting labor supply and demand set wage rates.

I have to believe the financial position of Amtrak would significantly improve if it were not for the labor union contracts that it somehow became involved with.
History is full of people not getting a decent wage without a union in place, be that this country or other countries. I don't want to derail the thread more than that.

Usually what brought on those conversations from crew we're them asking why I was staying later than them, and coming in earlier than them. When I worked New River Train I started work at four and ended sometime around midnight.
Those hours certainly deserve some pay unless the operation is not only non-profit but non-income.

Back