Train picnic?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeets

Train Attendant
What would be your ideal picnic lunch to bring on the train? Any special snack treats you always bring with you when you take a train trip?

Whatever snacks are in the house, my preferences for snacks always change. Last time I know I brought trail mix, I believe peanut M&Ms (the best kind) and probably some others that I don't remember.

Our long-distance trips onboard the Southwest Chief all begin with taking Pacific Surfliner #777 up to Los Angeles. To tide us over until supper, we pack along brown bag lunches consisting of turkey slices on Hawaiian Sweet Bread buns, apple slices, hard boiled eggs, cookies or fig bars, and small cans of fruit juice.

Eric & Pat

Dry salami, crackers, and hard cheese to make little sandwiches. It does smell a bit though so I try to do it at a lounge table (or in a sleeper room) to not bother other riders in coach.

Also you can bring instant noodles, soups, and such and use the hot water supply to prepare them, though you need to let them sit longer as the water is not boiling hot. (In sleeper you also used to be able to get hot water from the coffee machine before COVID)

Depends on the trip, really.

Surfliner? If I'm in Business the snack pack is pretty good. Otherwise I try to eat beforehand, and the rides are generally short enough to where I don't feel the urge to snack.

Long-distance? For day runs, I usually will hit up a supermarket and get some nuts, or some shelf-stable meats and crackers. If I'm in a compartment, I have no qualms about bringing a bottle of red wine on board.

In Europe, I usually avail myself of the restaurant car, or served-at-the-seat in 1st or Business. And while I can usually find a good restaurant within or close by to a train station, we have to talk about supermarkets in train stations sometime (let's hope that link works).

Speaking of the restaurant car, here's a video from someone who practically ate their way through the Czech Republic in Business Class:

Last edited:
Back