Train repairs without air freshener. What could be better?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Uh, oh.

Scented Duct Tape For Half-Assed Repairs That At Least Smell Good

zotc7c68aec7aw65pexr.jpg

Curtains, doors, to hold paper or cardboard over the ceiling vent.

It is preferred to use Gaffer's tape as it leaves less residue. But Gaffer's tape is more expensive.

cardboard over the vent-- good idea. so u bring several pieces of flat cardboard and shape on site?

Tommy, I usually tape an Amtrak schedule over the vent. Works great, and if I want to see what station we're coming to next, I just look up at the ceiling!

Last trip on the SWC, the roomette door wouldn't stay open. Duct tape did the job. On the refurbished Superliner 1's they removed the speaker volume controls. Duct tape "mutes" the speaker in the room. A couple of years ago on the CZ we had a broken table leaf hinge. Again duct tape.

The ceiling vent can be closed. I've never closed it, since I feel it gets too stuffy without the air circulation, but does it still leak cold air when it's closed?

The roomettes are so unbearably hot during the winter that I'm tempted to bring stuff to block the vents under the window and the vent in the ceiling (even when it's shut).

There have been several times when the ceiling vents were stuck in the "let's make an iceberg out of the top bunk sleeper" position. In those instances, we blocked off three sides of the vent so we could get circulation without the "popsicle effect".

For annoying loudspeakers in the Roomette, nothing works as good as a 4x4 patch of inch-thick fiberglass insulation and duct tape. Actually, the lightweight HVAC Aluminum Tape (resembling the kind of tape that temporarily covers holes in aircraft skin) is sometimes more durable than the duct tape with the grey cloth backing.

However, the scented duct tape shown on this thread is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I have a big role of that HVAC tape...and just needed a small piece to cover an air leak in the furnace. Should I pack some of that in my "train travel" bag?

I was so bummed,,, I brought about 10 feet wrapped around a couple of pencils on the EB two weeks ago and had absolutely no use for it,,,, perhaps I should consider myself lucky

Well it was a few :eek: years ago but last time I Bought Gaffer's Tape, I think I bought 48 rolls of it. On one occasion I bought 144 rolls in 8 different colors. Handy to repair scenery during the show. Noticed it is time for me to get some more. I haven't worked a show that replenished my supply. I tend to use White and Black 2" tape.

Aloha

If your a union person that use graffer's tape for a living, would it not be a union violation to touch the scenery? I am just asking.

Also try use the blue painters tape at any home improvement store. It has a good for date, if remove by no residue. Don't be like me 7 years after I paint the house, still pull the stuff off here and there.

Duct tape that leaves a viscous, sticky residue behind on room surfaces that gets filthy over time?

Fiberglass insulation that introduces fine fiberglass particles into the circulatory air system?

Get a grip people. Your "tips" need to be buried many fathoms beneath the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back