Trains 1&2 will not run due to delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the next trip of 1 and 2 are xceled, no alternate transportation. This is due to both 1&2 delays enroute which will cause this. :angry:

Due to problems with a CSX bridge, the westbound Sunset Limited, Train

1(11JUL) is very late; at 5pm EDT, with infinite optimism, Amtrak

expected it to be 12 hours late into Los Angeles. At that time,

intentions were to operate it to its endpoint despite the delay.

The train arrived New Orleans at 935pm: 12 hr 15 min late. Estimated

departure time is 400am on 13JUL; 20 hr 5 min late. Further delay of

six to eight hours is already anticipated east of San Antonio due to a

scheduled UP bridge project; the Sunset's excessive delay causes it to

miss the scheduled window for train operations at the site.

On time bustitutions will depart San Antonio and El Paso to handle

passengers boarding west there, to Los Angeles. Two vans will also

depart on time from Houston to San Antonio, to connect with the westward

buses there.

Meanwhile, the eastbound Sunset Limited, Train 2(09JUL) was last

reported 12 hr 50 min late at Chipley, FL. Amtrak says it will run to

its endpoint, Orlando, making it impossible to turn the equipment at

Sanford.

As a result of the excessive lateness, inability to turn the equipment

for at endpoints for the next runs, and lack of available equipment to

make up train sets, the following cancellations and service adjustments

are being made:

Train 1(13JUL) is cancelled; Train 421(13JUL) will operate Chicago-San

Antonio only.

Train 2(14JUL) is cancelled; Train 422(14JUL) will operate San

Antonio-Chicago only.

Wait, if they are annulling 00214 where's the equipment for 00118 going to come from?

I just spoke with reservations, and CNOC inderectly, they say they plan on running a full Sunset at this point on Sunday, but I have a question. If I figured everything right there will be a spare set of equipment in both LAX and SFA. Equipment from P00209 will arrive today and leave on Thursday as P00115, and equipment from P00211 will arrive Wednesday and leave Sunday as P00118. On the West Side in LAX equipment from P00111 will arrive Wednesday and leave Friday as P00216, while the equipment from P00113 will arrive Friday and leave Sunday as P00218. Does this sound right to everyone?

I just hope it doesn't lose 8-12hrs between Houston and lafayette like it has.

2 Lafayette, LA 4:03 PM

(7:34 PM) Estimated arrival: 3 hours and 31 minutes late.

As of the last report at 3:48 PM, between Houston, TX and Beaumont, TX, it was running 4 hours and 13 minutes late.

I just checked to see the status of # 2's 8:17 PM scheduled arrival in Tucson tonight:

As of the last report at 7:46 PM, at Houston, TX, it was running 24 hours and 57 minutes late.
:blink: :rolleyes: :unsure:

I'll have to ask that crew on Sunday how fun their trip was. :lol: I spoke with a friend today and we pretty much decided that this annullment will be good for OTP in the short term as it will mean on time departures from Orlando on Thursday and Sunday.

snake said:
I just checked to see the status of # 2's 8:17 PM scheduled arrival in Tucson tonight:
As of the last report at 7:46 PM, at Houston, TX, it was running 24 hours and 57 minutes late.
:blink: :rolleyes: :unsure:
Snake, dont you mean train #1? Train #1 is running 23 hours and 17 minutes late, and is expected to arrive into Houston, TX 24 hours and 57 minutes late.

You're absolutely correct AMTRAK-P42, I should have written # 1, which, by the way is now:

As of the last report at 9:39 PM, at Houston, TX, it was running 25 hours and 27 minutes late.
# 2 left Tucson yesterday morning, the same day as scheduled, only 30 minutes late. :eek:

Well guys, I awoke this morning to find #1 running 8 hours and 40 mintues late out of San Antonio, TX

...oh wait, did I say 8 hours and 40 minutes late? I meant 28 hours and 40 minutes late.

Trying to put a positive spin on things here. I'm willing to bet all the Sunset crews are loving the money they're making right now. After the first set back you go on the clock for pay (not hours of service though), so they've got to be making a pretty penny all across the route right now.

As long as P00118 backs into JAX on time on Sunday and arrives in NOUPT before 1300 on Monday I could care less.

Current status of the westbound Sunset Limited scheduled to arrive in Tucson on July 13:

As of the last report at 12:22 PM, at El Paso, TX, it was running 36 hours and 5 minutes late.
:unsure:

And I think the web site has finally gone to twilight-zone status. As best I can make out, the timetable elapsed time from ELP to Tucson is just under five hours. The amtrak computer is estimating that the train will be 36 hours behind schedule leaving ELP and only 24 hours behind schedule arriving at Tucson, have made up almost 12 hours of schedule during that five hour trip. The trouble is that the site doesn't say what day the estimated times are, but the best I can guess from what it says is that it is leaving ELP today early in the morning and will be arriving in Tucson last evening. Your conductor this morning/evening is Rod Serling. Scotty must be the engineer. Look for somebody in the diner with pointy ears.

AmtrakWPK said:
And I think the web site has finally gone to twilight-zone status. As best I can make out, the timetable elapsed time from ELP to Tucson is just under five hours. The amtrak computer is estimating that the train will be 36 hours behind schedule leaving ELP and only 24 hours behind schedule arriving at Tucson, have made up almost 12 hours of schedule during that five hour trip. The trouble is that the site doesn't say what day the estimated times are, but the best I can guess from what it says is that it is leaving ELP today early in the morning and will be arriving in Tucson last evening. Your conductor this morning/evening is Rod Serling. Scotty must be the engineer. Look for somebody in the diner with pointy ears.
:lol: Maybe the sunset will hit a record late time. Are they still letting pax that want to remain on the train for the rest of the trip? Or is it running empty.

Well, all you would have to do to find out would be to get to the Tucson station by yesterday evening, and watch as it goes by. Look for the "Mr. Fusion" hatch on top of the engine. Doc should be about due to add some more trash to it by that time to fuel the next time-jump.

engine999 said:
AmtrakWPK said:
And I think the web site has finally gone to twilight-zone status.  As best I can make out, the timetable elapsed time from ELP to Tucson is just under five hours.  The amtrak computer is estimating that the train will be 36 hours behind schedule leaving ELP and only 24 hours behind schedule arriving at Tucson, have made up almost 12 hours of schedule during that five hour trip.  The trouble is that the site doesn't say what day the estimated times are, but the best I can guess from what it says is that it is leaving ELP today early in the morning and will be arriving in Tucson last evening.   Your conductor this morning/evening is Rod Serling.  Scotty must be the engineer.  Look for somebody in the diner with pointy ears.
:lol: Maybe the sunset will hit a record late time. Are they still letting pax that want to remain on the train for the rest of the trip? Or is it running empty.
As far as I know, no Amtrak has ever been over 35 1/2 hours late without being terminated. So I guess it would be the record...unless anyone knows of a continous train that did make it over the 1 1/2 day marker without being terminated.

Aloha

I have followed this thread and one thing confuses me no one has explained why this train has been so delayed. Wasn't there an alternative route around the bridge. Is the train just standing someware. It seem's weird that a solution canot be found. And/or no one wants to fix the problem.

I don't have a clue as to why it's late, it still hasn't made it to Tucson yet.

As of the last report at 6:05 AM, at El Paso, TX, it was running 38 hours and 40 minutes late.

And it really does seem to knock the Amtrak computer system on it's ear. It shows the train having left ELP 38 hours and 40 minutes late, but says to expect it in Tucson less than two hours later. That's 316 miles. I guess they are now running Acela power (with an extension cord, or maybe all the delays this summer have been so that the freight RRs could install the catenarys) to try and catch up some time. If this had happened 100 years ago, somebody probably would have written a song about it, like "The man who never returned" - make it "The train that never arrived" :D

According to a post be Gene Poon in another board, Amtrak has given up again. Passengers will be detrained at ELP and provided alternate transportation to their final destination. The consist will be deadheaded to LAX, hopefully to become the return #2 on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back