Amtrak Management issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past congress was the most favorable in Amtraks history. Profitability parameters were removed in some cases. Unfortunately it came at a time with arguably Amtraks worse management and board in charge.
And when Amtrak was -- and still IS -- short of personnel, which impairs the ability to turn on a dime when Congress finally comes up with decent funding.

A lot of the complaints seem to come down to "why are there fewer cars now that Amtrak is fully funded? Why won't they put all non-totaled cars into service? They must not want to!"

Because the last time I checked, it's workers, not dollar bills, who maintain and repair train cars and engines. And:

1) A whole lot of businesses, in a variety of industries, who we don't reflexively presume to be self-sabotaging are also short of labor and having a hard time filling spots.

Yesterday, Superbowl Sunday, I waited until 6:25pm to get a pizza (etc.) order I placed at 7:55am for pickup at 5:10pm. I doubt sacking a whole slew of "suits" at that company would have prevented or changed that.

2) NARP/RPA seems to be keeping on top of Amtrak's hiring efforts and not taking things for granted. And anecdotally I've heard radio ads for Amtrak careers in Chicago. (I've also seen online ads for Amtrak careers, but those could be coming up for me due to my search/usage history.)

And yes, the job situation came about partially by Amtrak decisions made during Covid. But only partially; lots of people in lots of industries were not laid off but just plain retired. Also, unlike some looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I won't presume incompetence in those in charge of Amtrak in the first few months of Covid because they didn't stake the company on:

(1) Congress coming up with more money for Amtrak rather than robbing "who's traveling now?" Peter to pay swelling-Covid-expenses Paul, and

(2) ridership recovering as fast as it did, when the usually lively parts of Northeast and West Coast cities (and Chicago in my personal experience) looked like a post-apocalyptic movie minus the property decay. The parts of the country that weren't taking Covid terribly seriously and were more-or-less wide open in mid-2020 are generally not major Amtrak markets, while the parts of the nation where Amtrak is significant (Northeast, Cascades, California, Midwest centered on Chicago) were also the areas taking "lockdown" more-or-less seriously.

Last edited:
I work for a small (in the scheme of American business) professional business and we have trouble recruiting new staff (which we need - we are busy thanks to a strong economy) and many of our consultants are swamped and can't hire fast enough and some of them, especially in 'in-demand' disciplines (and even with unskilled labor) are often poached by competitors offering more money. I can't imagine that Amtrak is having any easier of a time recruiting new workers.

I work for a small (in the scheme of American business) professional business and we have trouble recruiting new staff (which we need - we are busy thanks to a strong economy) and many of our consultants are swamped and can't hire fast enough and some of them, especially in 'in-demand' disciplines (and even with unskilled labor) are often poached by competitors offering more money. I can't imagine that Amtrak is having any easier of a time recruiting new workers.
Same thing where I work. We have tons of jobs posted and we are still losing people faster than we can hire.

The problem referenced by @zetharion is that Amtrak HR moves so slowly and obscurely that when they do get a qualified applicant, that applicant may conclude that Amtrak is not interested in them and go elsewhere.

The problem referenced by @zetharion is that Amtrak HR moves so slowly and obscurely that when they do get a qualified applicant, that applicant may conclude that Amtrak is not interested in them and go elsewhere.
The Federal government (and I suspect other large bureaucracies) have a similar problem. Even with my consulting contract, it took me over a month after they offered me the job to finalize the contract. I was a subcontractor, and there was a large corporation involved.

And yet, the MTA’s New York City Transit system, typically when recruiting applicants for subway conductor or bus driver, has something like 80,000 taking the test for 4,000 positions.
At least it was that way the time I took the test…🤷‍♂️

Amtraks hiring process taking several months to just ACCEPT an applicant, if they even tell them, can be improved and made far more efficient by its leadership if the leadership really cared about getting its organization fully staffed.
If Amtrak's HR department is also understaffed and behind on its own hiring this will affect how efficient it can be. Not to mention if hiring managers are also overwhelmed with trying to fill positions under them. It is a cascading effect.

And yet, the MTA’s New York City Transit system, typically when recruiting applicants for subway conductor or bus driver, has something like 80,000 taking the test for 4,000 positions.
At least it was that way the time I took the test…🤷‍♂️

It’s probably not that way anymore. Transit agencies I work with who used to have their pick of candidates for operating positions now struggle to get enough qualified applicants to even fill a single class.

Then they lose half during training.

If Amtrak's HR department is also understaffed and behind on its own hiring this will affect how efficient it can be. Not to mention if hiring managers are also overwhelmed with trying to fill positions under them. It is a cascading effect.
Yes, there is not enough personnel to process the hiring of personnel.

It's right there on page 100 -A of the "Big Book of Amtrak Excuses."

Because they also apparently decided they wouldn't need them on the flip side of the pandemic and laid them off as well. They were like all other corporations assuming people would be breaking down doors to get any job they possibly could afterwards. Things didn't pan out like they hoped so the "staffing shortage" became the rallying cry of management when it was all caused by them in the first place.

It seems that even with the downgraded level of on-board service and shortened consists, they seem to be selling out the trains at very high fares.
It’s true that rooms are being offered at very high prices, which seems to imply that Amtrak must be maximizing revenue, but I’ve noticed something interesting. Even trains that depart with no rooms left often have plenty of unsold sleeper inventory just before the bidding process takes effect. It seems that many rooms remain unsold until released at a deep discount at the last minute.

At this point, the Amtrak long-distance service is not useful as a reliable form of transportation, and it's not because they're serving flex food or the crews are "rude" to the passengers or there's no lounge car.
Lousy food, rude staff, and the removal of facilities for relaxing and visiting with others absolutely plays a role in how much I ride Amtrak. The long distance network is not priced or advertised like a no-frills commuter service so why should we judge it that way? Amtrak management has limited control over timeliness but unilateral control over setting and maintaining service standards.

Amtrak management has limited control over timeliness but unilateral control over setting and maintaining service standards.
As did Ben Biaggini of Espee (except he controlled timekeeping,too). With what appears on the surface to be a similar agenda.

Either that or a mind boggling level of incompetence.

I have a strong feeling we will be seeing the true side of Stephen Gardner the first time he’s in front of the new House committee. It won’t be a Amtrak friendly group like in the Senate. I expect him to throw the long distance network under the bus (or in this case the train) to save his neck. The positive side would be we will finally know where everyone truly stands and it will help force things to a head one way or the other.

I have a strong feeling we will be seeing the true side of Stephen Gardner the first time he’s in front of the new House committee. It won’t be a Amtrak friendly group like in the Senate. I expect him to throw the long distance network under the bus (or in this case the train) to save his neck. The positive side would be we will finally know where everyone truly stands and it will help force things to a head one way or the other.
Since the last time such an opportunity arose, the Long Distance segment was separated from the rest of Amtrak for funding purposes and the non-NEC Regional Service funding was tossed over to the states (in exchange for not defunding the Long Distance segment) , I fully expect the Long Distance services to lose further. Afterall last time we all know who placed restrictions on Amtrak requiring them to get Congress's permission before making any additions to the LD network. Amtrak, with the acquiescence of its Board, has conveniently stuck with that and justified its foot dragging, even though subsequently the restriction was removed. There was no such restriction on the rest of the system. More of the same is likely to follow, notwithstanding a few outlier legislators. Afterall, zero funding for Amtrak is part of the platform! ;)

Actually many of us already know the lay of the land, specially those that are not focused on Gardner to the exclusion of everything else. ;)

The positive side would be we will finally know where everyone truly stands and it will help force things to a head one way or the other.
It's Washington DC. Where everyone stands depends on what room they're in, who they're talking to, and what is politically expedient at the moment. I think it's best not to look at specific people like Gardner or anyone else as a villain (or hero.) He's an executive that probably in his own way believes in Amtrak and its mission. He's one of many players in this DC Amtrak game. Obviously, the competency of the Amtrak management regime under him is something that is basically the subject of this thread, and we can all discuss it, but that doesn't mean he's a moustache twirling villain thinking every day about how he can stick it to the network. He undoubtedly sees the Northeast Corridor as its most important part (as a large portion of within the beltway people do) and of course how the rest of the network gets treated by the current Amtrak regime is going to depend on what's politically expedient at the moment to protect their priorities. Best to just look at Amtrak executives as players that sometimes we can reason with, sometimes we will disagree with, and sometimes will work with on common goals. Over focus on a specific player in this game I think can distort the picture. Amtrak management, the board, and the policy makers on the hill and in the administration are all players in this game that advocates have to navigate. I'm probably too much of a moderate myself, but I just feel there's too many heroes and villains in politics and it really just distracts from trying to get things done.

I think at this point most everyone can agree “management” is Gardner AND the Board with Gardner being the mouthpiece for management as a whole. Amtrak has always been political but now it seems politicians are inside and running day to day operations more than ever. In the past the CEOs have ranged from people knowing how to work the political process and grease wheels such as Claytor and even Boardman to people such as Gunn who didn’t play politics. I personally think Boardman was a lot more shrewed than people give him credit for. Looking back taking the meals off the Sliver Star was genius. Political tides were against Amtrak in the F/B department and he had to show something. He took a route with double daily service and did the experiment allowing customers who didn’t want to participate to choose the other train. It showed to Congress Amtrak was cognizant of their concerns appeasing some of the Mica thinking members.
Other CEO’s were great railroad people but didn’t know how to grease the political wheels. Gunn obviously comes to mind here, then again maybe he did know politics as he saved Amtrak from almost certain death days before a shutdown. Regardless he got fired for his accomplishment.

It just feels different now with what I will call true political hacks running the game. I think there is an agenda but at the same time alot of double speak as others have noted. One thing I will say regarding the long distance network and double talk. The double talk ranges from lukewarm support to negative connotations, nothing truly positive has ever been said by the current group in charge about the network. With a divided Congress I don’t expect things to get better, lets hope status quo can hold out for now.

Last edited:
I think at this point most everyone can agree “management” is Gardner AND the Board with Gardner being the mouthpiece for management as whole. Amtrak has always been political but now it seems politicians are inside and running day to day operations more than ever. In the past the CEOs have ranged from people knowing how to work the political process and grease wheels such a Claytor and even Boardman to people such as Gunn who didn’t play politics. I personally think Boardman was a lot more shrewed than people give him credit for. Looking back taking the meals off the Sliver Star was genius. Political tides were against Amtrak in the F/B department and he had to show something. He took a route with double daily service and did the experiment allowing customers who didn’t want to participate to choose the other train. It showed to Congress Amtrak was cognizant of their concerns appeasing some of the Mica thinking members.
Other CEO’s were great railroad people but didn’t know how to grease the political wheels. Gunn obviously comes to mind here, then again maybe he did know politics as he saved Amtrak from almost certain death days before a shutdown. Regardless he got fired for his accomplishment.

It just feels different now with what I will call true political hacks running the game. I think there is an agenda but at the same time alot of double speak as others have noted. One thing I will say regarding the long distance network and double talk. The double talk ranges from lukewarm support to negative connotations, nothing truly positive has ever been said by the current group in charge about the network. With a divided Congress I don’t expect things to get better, lets hope status quo can hold out for now.

Excellent summary—thank you.

Back