Trains to the inauguration already full

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

domefoamer

Train Attendant
I have a bit of a tradition-- actually, a one-time tradition -- of taking trains to DC to attend presidential inaugurations. That was no particular challenge in '92, for Clinton's first. The unforseen bonus of that journey was a ride on two museum pieces that were soon to be removed from service. On the Broadway Limited, I slept in a double Slumbercoach, while on the returning Capitol Limited I struggled to remain awake for the view from a Budd dome car.

Those sweet experiences won't be repeated this year. Not only are the Heritage cars gone to history, but every connecting train from Chicago to DC is sold out already for several days either side of Jan. 20. Evidently, electing a man from the nation's biggest passenger rail hub has this effect on ridership. Those will be some party trains, I bet!

I'll be traveling on SW Airlines instead.

Prices for the Crescent to DC were sky high for this trip from what I saw, so I'm flying from Atlanta unfortunately. Oh well, it's alright I guess. First time inauguration-visit for me.

The NEC trains are filling up too-

bet they will be full VRE and MARC trains too, hope they give the regular riders the day off.

been to three inagurations (worked em) and will watch this one like most others on the tube.

Bob

Wait, what??!

How far in advance of the 20th are we talking about? If the times are filled for returns from Chicago from the 12th of January on, then I'm in a fair bit of trouble.

One disadvantage of your local rail centre being the nation's captial and your trip occurring near the confirmation of "America's Darkest Hour".

Whew--only after the 14th of january are the trains all full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back