Transferring from CZ to Cardinal at CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the CZ and Cardinal arrive/leave from the same concourse at CHI? If not, how long a walk is it from de-boarding CZ to boarding Cardinal. I would only need to consider this if the CZ arrives significantly late. Thanks.

All Amtrak trains except the Builder and the Hiawathas use the South (even numbered) tracks.

Chicago Union Station is a big station, but it isn't an airport. It doesn't have concourses or individual gate waiting areas. You can walk between the South track gates and the North track gates in less than five minutes.

The Great Hall (again the primary waiting room) and the Metropolitan Lounge are about equidistant from both sets of gates. They may or may not be using the South Boarding Lounge again for general waiting area (it was restricted to passengers needing assistance/priority at least for awhile, do not know its current status). The South Boarding Lounge is right across the hall from the South gates.

If the Southwest Chief is significantly late, there may be Amtrak personnel at the foot of the platform to direct you to connecting trains that are already boarding. Otherwise you'll go to the Great Hall or the Metropolitan Lounge until your train is called (or head to The Junction on the mezzanine level for a drink).

Last edited:
All Amtrak trains except the Builder and the Hiawathas use the South (even numbered) tracks.

Chicago Union Station is a big station, but it isn't an airport. It doesn't have concourses or individual gate waiting areas. You can walk between the South track gates and the North track gates in less than five minutes.

The Great Hall (again the primary waiting room) and the Metropolitan Lounge are about equidistant from both sets of gates. They may or may not be using the South Boarding Lounge again for general waiting area (it was restricted to passengers needing assistance/priority at least for awhile, do not know its current status). The South Boarding Lounge is right across the hall from the South gates.

If the Southwest Chief is significantly late, there may be Amtrak personnel at the foot of the platform to direct you to connecting trains that are already boarding. Otherwise you'll go to the Great Hall or the Metropolitan Lounge until your train is called (or head to The Junction on the mezzanine level for a drink)
Thanks. I have failing eyesight, especially when trying to read signage, so I'm glad both trains are on the same side. I'm good at asking folks to point out directions if I need them.

Back