Transit App adds charge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Conductor
I've noticed that the popular "Transit" app is set to start charging 5 bucks a month or 25 annually for "Royale" service. In Chicago, I've noticed that this means offering arrival times for the closest cross streets complimentary, maybe a nearby L (maybe not, depending where you are).....and not much else. I've found it useful in sorting out what route to take. But 25 bucks buys me 10 rides. Not sure I won't be abandoning Transit. Ironically, they will still offer Pace routes times (which may be a bit further) for free.

What are you noticing in your city?

I believe the free version still shows the next couple of departures for at least the most nearby lines, along with the trip planner still being fully functional.

I'm fine with paying considering how often I find the app useful, but the free version should still work okay. Also, supposedly if you ride Pace regularly you'll keep the free Royale membership. Might be time to go out to the suburbs. 😉

I got Royale for free when on the University of Maryland campus (I work there remotely and visit in person occasionally), and apparently also get it for free through EZfare (which handles the mobile ticketing for the buses here in Ann Arbor). So definitely check if your local agencies offer it for free…

I discovered how overwhelmed Royale gets near or at a transit center. The bus in the lane next to me tonight was "too far away" to not be part of Royale. It looks like this app is going to become pretty useless to me in just over a week.

Back