Transit connectivity to airports

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
I can agree with this. No matter how Americans may choose to travel in almost all cases a vehicle is expected to be at least part of the equation. There have been many times where it felt like American planners went out of their way to prevent trains, planes, trams, buses, and shuttles from connecting in a practical and efficient manner. Several years later I found out it was at least partly intentional.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3v5j3/us-airports-no-longer-have-to-build-their-own-crappy-trains
Yeah, it would be so nice if a train like the L in Chicago actually stopped at all the terminals separately instead of a central station that is then a long walk to any terminal, except terminal 5 which requires the people mover after you've watched your L train go right past that terminal on the way there.

Yeah, it would be so nice if a train like the L in Chicago actually stopped at all the terminals separately instead of a central station that is then a long walk to any terminal, except terminal 5 which requires the people mover after you've watched your L train go right past that terminal on the way there.
That is basically how the SEPTA Airport Line in Philadelphia works. I used it a few times when I lived near Philly it was very convenient, platforms right off of the bag claim areas at each terminal, although there were 2 I think that shared a platform midway between.

That is basically how the SEPTA Airport Line in Philadelphia works. I used it a few times when I lived near Philly it was very convenient, platforms right off of the bag claim areas at each terminal, although there were 2 I think that shared a platform midway between.
Well, the JFK AirTrain has stops at each terminal, but it doesn't really go anywhere else except for 2 connections to other transit. It's more of an airport APM with off-property transit connections than a transit line with an airport stop, although one of those connection points is far off-property and the trains move up to 60 mph getting there.

Yeah, I love Philly's setup. No super long walks to get to the stations.

I also like how the system there connects their commuter rail as thru-lines instead of only terminating downtown. You can get through downtown to North Philly from the airport in a one-seat ride, which is so convenient.

At one time the ATL airport boardings were the most of any MARTA boardings. Have not seen figures for years but may look it up when time permits. It was 10% of total but system has more stations now.

Back