Transition Sleeper room locations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Hey guys, I'm booked on the "inagural" #1 from NOL to LAX on 11/4. I have room 023 in the 0120 car. I have never been in a Transition Sleeper before but i'm asusming that this room is indeed in one of those. Is room 23 upstairs or downstairs? Are the layouts of these sleepers pretty similar to the regular ones?

Thanks for the help as always!

I'm not totally familar with the layout of the Superliner Transition Sleeper, but AFAIK it would be one of the rooms on on the upper level towards the A end (upper level door to next car).

Yes, with that room number, you are definately in a Trans/Dorm unless there is a last minute substitution. And that does happen, I would supposed to be in a Trans/Dorm on the Eagle this summer and they threw in a regular Superliner I that has never seen a refurb at all. It was in surprisingly good condition and still had the window in the upper level bathroom.

As for your other questions, all passenger rooms in the Trans/Dorm are upstairs, except for the handicapped room. The rest of the car contains rooms only for the crew and are off limits to regular passengers. Room 23 is closest to the stairs going down to the lower level, on the opposite side. Room 24 is on the same side as the stairs, providing the staircase wall.

Overall the layout is similar to a regular sleeper, but there is an extra shower on the upper level for you to use. Additionally there is no family room on the lower level and the 4 roomette's downstairs are also missing, that area is basically given over to a crew room.

Of course the other end or crew side of the upper level does not have the normal connector to the next car, but instead a set of stairs that leads to a diaphram that meets single level cars.

A week ago we were in a transition sleeper (#17) on the Empire Builder. It was quiet because people were not going past our room to get to the dining car. The only folks to travel past it were employees.

On the way back, we had #2 which was by the bathroom (a smorgasbord of smells came our way at no extra charge), and there was high traffic b/c it was next to the dining car.

I'd love to be put in the transition car again. It was actually cleaner than the one on the way home.

Goatdog said:
A week ago we were in a transition sleeper (#17) on the Empire Builder. It was quiet because people were not going past our room to get to the dining car. The only folks to travel past it were employees.
How'd you wind up in the transition sleeper on the Builder? Was your trip the one that hit a deer west of Milwaukee, forcing a couple of cars to be set out due to damage?

rmadisonwi said:
Goatdog said:
A week ago we were in a transition sleeper (#17) on the Empire Builder.  It was quiet because people were not going past our room to get to the dining car.  The only folks to travel past it were employees.
How'd you wind up in the transition sleeper on the Builder? Was your trip the one that hit a deer west of Milwaukee, forcing a couple of cars to be set out due to damage?
In August they were selling some space in the Dorm's. It was on the NARP members section.

AlanB said:
The rest of the car contains rooms only for the crew and are off limits to regular passengers.
:lol: Would I qualify as irregular? :lol: B)

rmadisonwi said:
Goatdog said:
A week ago we were in a transition sleeper (#17) on the Empire Builder.  It was quiet because people were not going past our room to get to the dining car.  The only folks to travel past it were employees.
No, we weren't on the train that hit a deer west of Milwaukee, but on the way back prior to picking us up in Montana, rocks got under the train and set it to a screeching halt. Never did hear the full story and wonder what really happened.

Not sure how we ended up in the transition sleeper, but I hope it happens again someday. There were about 3 or 4 of us there.

AmtrakFan said:
There was a rumor that same train also hit a Boulder 2 Miles later. It was on the CP Rail Website I think.
Could you please tell me the address to get to that site?

I thought I replied to this earlier, but my message does not show. I don't think I said anything objectionable to get it deleted. A few years ago I rode the transition car Flagstaff to Chicago and really liked it. Quiet and I believe there were three showers. It helped that the attendant from the next car, Linda, was excellent. ( I did remark that if I had to go to Chicago tomorrow, you would find me in coach. I just punched up the fare, one senior in a roomette - $804? I don't think so. I do like taking sleepers, but that is ridiculous. )

An oldie but a goodie.

For those perusing the thread anyway:

All the Roomettes in the Transition Sleeper (Trans Dorm) are on the upper level and there is an Accessible (H) Roomette on the lower level.

Where Roomettes 11-14 are on a regular sleeper is a crew lounge and crew baggage storage area in a Transition sleeper.

There are no Bedrooms in a Transition Sleeper.

I believe in the Transition Sleeper paying passengers only get assigned to Roomettes 17 thru 24 with Roomettes 1 thru 8 being used by OBS.

There are 2 showers on the upper level of the Transition Sleeper, 1 in the middle of the upper level and 1 across from the 'Conductor's Office' at the trailing end of the Transition Sleeper, and 3 toilets

downstairs.

Unlike regular sleeper cars because of it's function and design, the Transition sleeper is always connected in the consist with the end that facilitates the 'transition' from single to bi-level needed at the baggage car end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a roomette in the trans/sleeper car on the Zephyr from Glenwood Springs to Chicago. After Denver i had the car to myself. Even though it was at the head of the train it was nice and quiet. Never heard the crew coming and going. I had at least two sleeper cars to pass through to the diner. I prefer the farthest car from the diner or lounge cars. Found the shower stall makes for a roomier changing room than the roomette with beds down.

All the Roomettes in the Transition Sleeper (Trans Dorm) are on the upper level and there is an Accessible (H) Roomette on the lower level.
Neither of the transition sleepers I rode had an H room; there was a dressing room and shower in that location. I'm not saying no transition sleeper has an H room, but certainly not all have it.

Neither of the transition sleepers I rode had an H room; there was a dressing room and shower in that location. I'm not saying no transition sleeper has an H room, but certainly not all have it.
That is correct, there are a few Trans/Dorms that don't have an H room. The majority do have the H room; but I believe a few of the earliest off the line were configured instead with a men's bathroom, with attached shower and a ladies powder room with attached shower in place of the H room.

Thanks for the info, AlanB. I learned something new today.

My recollection is that the space where the H room would have been was completely devoted to one shower (same size as a normal Superliner shower) and one enormous dressing room. The space would have been sufficient for two showers and two dressing rooms, and it seems like that would have been better utilization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back