Transportation Certificate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
I have an Amtrak Transportation Certificate, that was issued to me due to the delays on my recent trip to Washington. I had a few questions for my fellow members on the redemption of it.

My neice has been begging me to take her on a train ride... can I use the certificate to purchase tickets for both of us. I noticed the voucher is non-transferrable... does that mean it has to be spent on MY transit only, or just that I can't give/sell it to someone else.

Also, if I don't use the entire value of the voucher, what happens? Do I lose the unused value, or will they give me another voucher for the remaining amount? Should I go ahead and just book another segment to put me at the full value, then return that ticket for credit within a year?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Chris

You can only use it for travel in your name.

The value you don't use is returned to you. If you voucher is worth $35 and you only spend $25 you get that $10 back on a ticket that you can use.

Steve

You can only use it for travel in your name.
Absolutely incorrect.

You can buy a ticket for anyone with that voucher, even if you're not doing the traveling. If it's you and your niece traveling together you'll have no trouble buying those two tickets with the voucher. And yes, assuming that your "change" isn't 2 or 3 bucks or less, the agent should give you a new voucher for the remainder.

I had a $500 voucher that I used to purchase tickets for my sister and myself. No problem!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back