transportation to Pier 39 from/to Emeryville. getting to zephyr; coast starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skimmy

Train Attendant
Good day, I'm new to this site. Our Amtrak multi-city vacation has us coming in on the zephyr into Emeryville. The planner has us bussed to Salesforce Plaza, 2 miles from our hotel by Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39. Does anyone know how to get to/from Emeryville to/from Pier 39. The reason I ask is that the coast Starlight timetable shows 3 San Francisco bus stops from Emeryville. The Zephyr only shows the Salesforce Plaza bus stop.

3 days later I take the Coast Starliner to Portland so I need to get back to Emeryville for the train North. (then East to Pasco, Washington on the Empire Builder.)

If stuck with the Salesforce option, suggestions for other than Amtrak transportation to hotel by Pier 39

Depending on how adventurous you are, you can get off one stop before Emeryville at Richmond where you can catch a BART train to the city and then take a streetcar to the pier.

I’ve done that just carrying one rollerboard with me.

The Coast Starlight timetable may be out of date? I checked just now on the Amtrak website, and that only offers the Salesforce Plaza option too. At one time there was a Fishermans Wharf bus connection, but not these days. Maybe a permanent change, maybe Covid related?
I will leave the more local folk to advise you of best alternative travel options If all else fails, I guess a cab from the Salesforce Plaza to and from your hotel might be the easiest option?

I have vague recollections that they were removing the other SF Thruway stops (I don’t remember if it was all of them, or just some of them) a while back for all buses. This was before COVID.

Sadly, the Salesforce/Transbay Transit Center does not have any kind of convenient transit to the Embarcadero. It’s a couple of blocks to Market St, but, IIRC, the F Line streetcar (Market-Embarcadero) isn’t running due to the pandemic.

For that reason, even the Richmond-to-BART option wouldn’t do you any better.

Depending on when your trip is, it’s theoretically possible that service will restart on more Muni routes. If it’s soon, then not likely. If it’s much later this year, then...maybe?

I have vague recollections that they were removing the other SF Thruway stops (I don’t remember if it was all of them, or just some of them) a while back for all buses. This was before COVID.

Sadly, the Salesforce/Transbay Transit Center does not have any kind of convenient transit to the Embarcadero. It’s a couple of blocks to Market St, but, IIRC, the F Line streetcar (Market-Embarcadero) isn’t running due to the pandemic.

For that reason, even the Richmond-to-BART option wouldn’t do you any better.

Depending on when your trip is, it’s theoretically possible that service will restart on more Muni routes. If it’s soon, then not likely. If it’s much later this year, then...maybe?
Kind of ironic that the old Transbay Terminal was the terminus for all Muni streetcars before the Market Street subway was built. Now the shiny new main bus terminal, and future home of CalTrain & HSR, is in a local rail transit desert.

The Coast Starlight timetable may be out of date? I checked just now on the Amtrak website, and that only offers the Salesforce Plaza option too. At one time there was a Fishermans Wharf bus connection, but not these days. Maybe a permanent change, maybe Covid related?
I will leave the more local folk to advise you of best alternative travel options If all else fails, I guess a cab from the Salesforce Plaza to and from your hotel might be the easiest option?
Thankyou, yes I had some question regarding the timetable I printed out. Cheers....

In my younger days, even with luggage, I would have used the F streetcar at its stops (coming and going) on Market Street nearest to Fremont Street. (Isn't that the street nearest the Amtrak bus stop? If not, adjust.) If you want to try this, be advised that getting the luggage up the steps and past the handrail could be a challenge. Otherwise, Uber or its ilk does seem like the best alternative.

It is unfortunate that the Ambus no longer goes to its former stops.

I guess if you are on the CZ you could always disembark early at the Richmond station and take BART to San Francisco. A clipper card should cover you for that. It seems like the CZ would put you in Richmond around 4. This is a map of it: Richmond to PIER 39

As I mentioned earlier, the F Line Streetcar is not running right now. There is no known timetable for its return. Getting off at Richmond and taking BART will be more challenging (and more expensive) than just riding the Thruway bus to SF and taxiing from the Transbay Terminal.

As I mentioned earlier, the F Line Streetcar is not running right now. There is no known timetable for its return. Getting off at Richmond and taking BART will be more challenging (and more expensive) than just riding the Thruway bus to SF and taxiing from the Transbay Terminal.

We don’t know when the OP will be traveling. If all goes well things should be more normal in a couple of months and then the streetcar is a valid option.

I'm not home so can't look at this for a couple of weeks. But a ferry might work for you.

The Oakland to SF ferry is walking distance from the Oakland Jack London Square station. You could get to Oakland by Cap Corridor.

The Vallejo to SF ferry just got a new way to get to it, they put the main transportation depot across the street from the Vallejo ferry and last week another bus line moved into it. It might be possible to take the Am-bus from Martinez to the right spot in Vallejo. Both ferries are scenic.

There is also a ferry from Larkspur at the end of the SMART tracks (Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transportation or something like that). There may be a stop that serves both SMART and Am-bus but I haven't looked and don't recall any press releases about that.

If you are going to transfer to a Capital Corridor, you probably ought to look at other transfer stations and see if (for instance) you want to stop at the Sacramento train museum or other highlight.

As an update, the F-line Streetcar is planned to come back mid-May from the late morning until the early evening hours in conjunction with a partial restoration of service in the Market Street Subway. Can't get more specific than that until everything is finalized and approved for release but that is the plan as of now. Something to look forward leading into summer.

Back