Transporting furniture inside a sleeper: experiences? rules?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ML

I'm trying to move several pieces of family heirloom furniture cross country. Not wanting to risk it getting broken, I'm looking at booking a sleeper, and bringing it inside with me.

The pieces (a table, chair, and sewing machine) will fit inside the sleeper with no problem-- although it would look unorthodox to bring them as luggage! But doing cost/benefit analysis of a one way SUV/van with gas, the sleeper makes economic sense, especially since I'd use AGR points.

Any thoughts or experiences? Several searches didn't bring up any info of folks transporting things *inside* a sleeper. I'm assuming that since a sleeper is like purchased cargo space, Amtrak should be very flexible with what I choose to bring in the space.

Thanks!

List of prohibited items include: Household and automotive items, including but not limited to antiques, appliances, artwork, furniture, machinery and car parts, powered tools, silverware, tires, and tow bars

A standard limit of carry on baggae I am sure would apply. So it's a no-go.

If it clearly looks like you're bringing stuff as part of a residential move, that might violate Amtrak policies. It's one thing to have a suitcase full of clothes that you won't need that's hidden in the bag, but furniture is going to attract attention.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565015
Contents must be necessary for wear, use, comfort, or convenience of the passenger for the purpose of the trip; items being transported for business or resident relocation not accepted.
Personally I'd think that they might not allow all that stuff inside a sleeper as a safety hazard.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Barciur, as for prohibited items, I didn't come across that on the website. Sounds like it could be a dealbreaker :(

Zepherdude, it would be the table (a sewing machine table with the sewing machine inside-- my grandma's from the 1940's, measuring 2'x2'x3') and chair, and a toothbrush/ 2 changes of clothes that I can put in a tiny backpack. I've been in a Roomette, Bedroom and Special Bedroom, and there's enough space for the items in a Roomette. I could sleep in the seat to minimize shuffling around, and could spring for a Bedroom if that would make the difference between a yes or no.

BCL, it's not a residential move-- just moving the few items. In fact, I don't even know if I'd check any bags besides the pieces we carry. As for safety hazard, hmm, I see your point. Flying projectiles! But then again, a suitcase could be a hazard, too.

Did you say cross-country? That probably means a change of trains. It would be much easier to talk you out of this, or possibly help you, it it's known from where, to where. Amtrak probably will consider this a no chance, and I doubt any insurance would cover the items shipped the way you suggest.

Although the practice on the ground generally is if you can carry it in one trip, you can have it, I doubt you could do it in one trip and it is against the rules. I think chances are VERY high the conductor would not allow you to board with that stuff.

And from a practical standpoint, even if they'd fit in the room, would they fit up the staircase in a superliner or down the hall with tight corners in a viewliner? Again, I seriously doubt they would allow you to board.

What are your points of origin and destination?

Last year in Ventura, California I found a company that wraps, packages, and ships furniture or other goods, fully insured. My mother had passed away, and I got a few pieces of Danish Modern furniture that had been part of the family for over 50 years, as well as some vases and other goods. They shipped it to me in Massachusetts, and it arrived in good shape. I was a bit taken aback by the price, but ultimately realized it was reasonable.

You might look at antique stores and see if they have furniture shipped to them, and who they use.

FrensicPic: Your comment makes me think about checking with the local station manager in advance of getting tickets (bring the table/chair for his/her inspection), explain the situation, and get a written note.

brentrain17: I've never been in this kind of position before, to move a piece from my grandmother's estate!

hhswami: It's from MSP to Phoenix, so destination Flagstaff or Tucson. I have friends in either that can meet me on arrival. Both would require an overnight connection in Chicago (= bringing the table in the back seat of a taxi to/from Union Station!) I considered a 1-way rental to KC, the one train ride on the Southwest Chief to Flagstaff, but since the AGR redemption is the same, the inconvenience of the CHI overnight outweighs the cost of the car rental. As for insurance, since the table has more family/sentimental value than anything, I'm not even thinking of insurance as the value is intangible.

Alice: Thank you for your suggestion! There are a lot of snowbirds that travel from MSP to Arizona now in fall; I replied to 2 messages asking for riders. Granted, the rider wouldn't be the best conversationalist, but it wouldn't need bathroom stops either!

zephyr17: it can be carried by 1 person with no problem. I'd be deliberate to choose a lower level sleeper to make life easier. The table could go up the stairs as it's tall but not that wide or deep, and the seat nests underneath the table.

PRae_Train: MSP to Flagstaff or Tucson. I'm not looking forward to being taken aback by price! I guess what makes the sleeper idea appealing is that AGR points are less painful to part with than large amounts of cash. But I'll make inquiries.

I really appreciate your comments thus far! Plus, as the topic hadn't been discussed before, I'm hoping the thread will be an archived reference for future searches.

Can you book an AGR award St. Paul-Chicago-Flagstaff? I haven't tried recently, but AGR shot me down every time I tried to book a connection between 2 western trains overnighting in Chicago, and can recall flying MSP-MDW on Southwest to catch the Southwest Chief in Albuquerque.

FrensicPic: Your comment makes me think about checking with the local station manager in advance of getting tickets (bring the table/chair for his/her inspection), explain the situation, and get a written note.

brentrain17: I've never been in this kind of position before, to move a piece from my grandmother's estate!

hhswami: It's from MSP to Phoenix, so destination Flagstaff or Tucson. I have friends in either that can meet me on arrival. Both would require an overnight connection in Chicago (= bringing the table in the back seat of a taxi to/from Union Station!) I considered a 1-way rental to KC, the one train ride on the Southwest Chief to Flagstaff, but since the AGR redemption is the same, the inconvenience of the CHI overnight outweighs the cost of the car rental. As for insurance, since the table has more family/sentimental value than anything, I'm not even thinking of insurance as the value is intangible.

Alice: Thank you for your suggestion! There are a lot of snowbirds that travel from MSP to Arizona now in fall; I replied to 2 messages asking for riders. Granted, the rider wouldn't be the best conversationalist, but it wouldn't need bathroom stops either!

zephyr17: it can be carried by 1 person with no problem. I'd be deliberate to choose a lower level sleeper to make life easier. The table could go up the stairs as it's tall but not that wide or deep, and the seat nests underneath the table.

PRae_Train: MSP to Flagstaff or Tucson. I'm not looking forward to being taken aback by price! I guess what makes the sleeper idea appealing is that AGR points are less painful to part with than large amounts of cash. But I'll make inquiries.

I really appreciate your comments thus far! Plus, as the topic hadn't been discussed before, I'm hoping the thread will be an archived reference for future searches.
The question is can ALL of it, both table and chair be carried by one person at once, not having to go back for another piece. In any case, it is pretty much academic because it is really doubtful the conductor would allow you to board.

There are plenty of furniture moving companies - even UPS - that can ship stuff like yours very reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

OP sure seems optimistic that he/she will be able carry these items on the train, seemingly ignoring so many warnings that it is prohibited.

I wish you luck ML, but strongly urge you to have a solid Plan B to transport/ship the items some other way.

ML - please just find another way. The rules are clear. Even if you get one station agent to "buy off" on it, no guarantee that you'll get it on at CHI. Then what?

The SUV cost, yes, is greater than AGR points on the wallet. But make no mistake. What could start off as a great cost saving idea could wind up being a nightmare - both logistically and financially.

Take the SUV there. Take Amtrak home.

I watch shipping wars.

There is also Greyhound. Pretty reasonable prices if the furniture can fit in the underfloor luggage compartments on their busses.

I think the thing being overlooked here is the ability to ship via Amtrak Express. Pack it well with some bubble wrap/butcher paper and it should be ok to go. From my understanding the Express rates are pretty reasonable. If the station does checked baggage they should be able to ship Express as well.

I think the thing being overlooked here is the ability to ship via Amtrak Express. Pack it well with some bubble wrap/butcher paper and it should be ok to go. From my understanding the Express rates are pretty reasonable. If the station does checked baggage they should be able to ship Express as well.
I certainly understand the OP's concerns that the items should always be under personal control, and that package delivery might not handle them with the respect for the sentimental value of the items.

However, this just sets off way too many alarm bells to think that the OP can pull it off. There's the impression that bringing along furniture is part of a residential move. There's the restriction on bringing valuable items (where Amtrak doesn't want liability issues if they're damaged). There's the possibility that the crew will consider it a safety hazard to clutter up a sleeper. There's the possibility of damaging the items in transit. That's on top of having to lug all this stuff around the stations.

Granted - I've seen some extremely overloaded passengers. Just yesterday I saw a couple of adults with two kids, two child car seats, and luggage that spread around everywhere. They also didn't check in any of it. However, I think it could be reasonably assumed that the seats meet the definition of being necessary for the trip, and ordinary luggage isn't usually anything that attracts attention.

lspolkum, good point! The last Chicago overnight I had was a couple years back, so I haven't kept tabs on AGR tightening restrictions. I see Amtrak won't sell tickets with the CHI overnight.

zephyr17: yes, one person can carry both pieces (seat nested under the table that contains the sewing machine. The only other items would be essential creature comforts for a 2-3 day train ride (toothbrush, change of clothes) that I could sling over my back.

chakk, Guest_Guest and Battalion51: my concern with shipping companies is how the things may be handled-- and BCL hits the heart of my concern: I want to keep the things under my personal control. I see it similar to a cello player purchasing an airline seat so the cello doesn't go in the cargo hold-- although since TSA would frown on this inside an airplane, that's where I had the sleeper idea. I'm happy to sacrifice my luggage allotment -- and the 2nd allowed passenger-- in order to have space in the sleeper for the items.

PRae_Train: Maybe I am being optimistic, but I'm also thoroughly vetting my options- and especially since I haven't found a similar topic discussed elsewhere, this thread will serve future folks. I agree that the option is looking less viable as comments come in, and I'll have to find an alternative option if this doesn't work.

Venture Forth: not being a fan of long distance drives, I'm seeing the SUV option as an ultimate final option. The only time I drove cross country was when I moved one way to Phoenix 10+ years ago. Really not trying to do that again (when the train is a lot more comfortable anyway!)

Thank you again for your insight into my unorthodox, circumstantial request! I'm in the process of emailing Customer Service, and I'll post their response.

Thanks!

An observation: Amtrak/FRA have banned the use of individual dining car chairs (which were the standard in the RR days and still used on Via) in favor of booths. I recall the seat in the bedrooms is tied down, too. They don't want their own furniture loose to fly around in an accident.

Those individual dining chairs on Via's Canadian are indeed very nice, along with the real silverware and glassware and real china plates and soup dishes. Truly a not-to-be-missed trip for all Amtrak fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The staff in Chicago union station tend not to have a can do attitude with strange circumstances. Getting the stuff into the lounge and then on to the second train is probably not going to happen.

So, I emailed Amtrak, and here is the response.

My first request, sent to General Inquiries, received a reply that started with "Thank you for your interest in Amtrak Express Shipping" and went on to a canned paragraph discussing the shipping service. When I replied that I was looking at purchasing passage for the item, as a cellist purchases an airline seat for his/her instrument, I received the response:

"Passengers with valid tickets may carry-on 2 pieces of baggage per person. The maximum weight of each carry-on item is 50 lbs (23 kg). The maximum size of each carry-on item is 28" x 22" x 14" (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters). All carry-on items must have visible ID tags securely attached. Regrettably, Amtrak does not ship furniture."

So, my interpretation is the size requirement is inflexible. I'm concerned that with both replies, the Amtrak representative referred to "shipping", and neither made mention of the sleeper, a la, "no oversize items can be carried into a sleeper" or to that effect.

An ultimate solution that occurs to me: As for the item itself, I suppose that while carrying a table may draw unwanted attention, carrying a cardboard box or wrapped parcel with unspecified contents would be less conspicuous-- so that might be the ticket.

Thank you all again for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back