Travel Agencies that book Amtrak? (LI area)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon'tFly

Train Attendant
Planning a trip NYP-HOL, Silver Service for Feb with a coupon from "Thomas the Tank: Merry Winter Wish" DVD. It allows one child to ride free round trip with an adult fare. Problem I had last year, I had to go to Penn Station to surrender the coupon. Wasn't convenient coming from Eastern Suffolk with a 2 hour train ride and $25 LIRR fare. Don't get me wrong, I love riding the train to the city, it's just time is money over here.

Anyway, are there any local travel agencies in the Long Island area that book Amtrak?

AAA in Smithtown charges a $40-$50 surcharge (cheaper to ride into the city). Are there any other alternatives?

Happy Travels,

Corri

I'd try calling the corporate reservations desk and see if you could get them to hold the reservation until your coupon could be sent through the mail. But what I'm more curious about is why you you love to travel but won't ever fly?

I call Amtrak reservations, and see if there's any way that you can turn in the coupon when you depart, or is there some kind of date restriction on it?
huh.gif

But what I'm more curious about is why you you love to travel but won't ever fly?
If given the choice between flying and taking the train, I chose the train too!
rolleyes.gif
I even "chose" to "fly" Amtrak from PDX to KIN last year!
biggrin.gif
I only "chose" to fly if I have to be there yesterday, or if I have to go across the Pond! (Amtrak doesn't serve Europe yet!
mosking.gif
)

Corri,

I live on LI, and used to work as a travel agent here.

Most travel agencies here are probably not familiar with Amtrak, but they are certainly capable of issuing Amtrak tickets. The main drawback to using a travel agent for ticketing is that a lot of them charge a fee for ticketing. $25.00 per ticket,etc.

And I wouldn't think they could or would honor the coupon.

Read the fine print on the coupon you have, then call Amtrak reservations and ask what your options are for ticketing.

Keep us posted.....

Bill

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great idea...I'll call Amtrak soon. I'll keep everyone posted!

@Bill631: That would explain why AAA charges about $50...it's for each ticket

As to my "I don't fly" issue. Long story short, 1. My ears never (I mean never) pop and 2. crippling fear of flying

For my ears: tried everything that you could possibly try. And as for #2: it's a work in progress. I don't have any immediate need to fly overseas, but would hate to pass up on Europe, Asia, etc... So I am going to start by getting my passport, and see how I feel. Thought of flying even gets me anxious. It's like "white coat syndrome" where fear and pain at the dentist can cause major anxiety.

Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back