Travel with walker/unmanned station question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchesofun

Train Attendant
We will be leaving from Cincinnati at 1:41am to Chicago at an unmanned station. Do you wait in the waiting room to near 15 minutes before arrival and then move to the platform? Will the sleeping car attendant leave the train so we can signal him we are coming. Husband is slow walking with the walker. Don't want to miss the train. Going to Texas for our son's wedding!

The conductor (and sleeping car attendant) will be expecting you...your name will be on the manifest for that stop. No sure of the particulars for that station but, at some point shortly before arrival/departure you should be out on the platform where a crew member can see you. They will direct you to the proper car.
Don't worry about being a slow walker, if they see you coming they will wait!

If you haven't alread done so, please review the station info...
https://www.amtrak.com/stations/cin

Thanks for the link. I had already read it but it doesn't hurt to read it again! I just found out that the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago is a Viewliner so hopefull for a toilet in our roomette. Hubs would have trouble walking down the hallway on a moving train. But every youtube video I've watched on that route shows a toilet. Small pleasures when you get old!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I had already read it but it doesn't hurt to read it again! I just found out that the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago is a Viewliner so hopefull for a toilet in our roomette. Hubs would have trouble walking down the hallway on a moving train. But every youtube fideo I've watched on that route shows a toilet. Small pleasures when you get old!
Yes, my wife uses a walker and we deal with similiar things on our train and other adventures.

Thanks for the link. I had already read it but it doesn't hurt to read it again! I just found out that the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago is a Viewliner so hopefull for a toilet in our roomette. Hubs would have trouble walking down the hallway on a moving train. But every youtube fideo I've watched on that route shows a toilet. Small pleasures when you get old!
So far, the Cardinal has the old Viewliners, so yes, there will be a toilet in your room.

Yes, my wife uses a walker and we deal with similiar things on our train and other adventures.
This will be our first trip since his knees have gotten this bad (bone on bone), so it's a new experience. He has a mobility scooter for distances, but he chose not to take it as it would be a hassle and we don't expect to have to walk any great distances. I appreciate the comments as I hate the unknown.

So far, the Cardinal has the old Viewliners, so yes, there will be a toilet in your room.
Great! I am happy to hear that. Also it seems as though the top bunk pulls down lower on the Viewliner than on the Superliner, making getting on the bunk easier it would seem.

Idk about the website, but on the app if you add the disability it asks you questions before searching for trains like if you need assistance, what kind of disability, will you be traveling with a mobility device. I realize a traveler would have that saved in their profile so they wouldn't have to answer them each time, but it was very annoying to do that when testing it and going back to change the date.

Just making sure you booked the ticket with the disability discount and said you'd need assistance at the station?
He got the disability discount and I got the senior discount. We asked for redcap service in Chicago. Even though that was confirmed, I've heard they might be short handed and to inquire when we get to the station to be sure. We're going to the Metropolitan Lounge and they said when the Redcap leaves us there to ask if he will be the one to come get us.

I use a rollator (a wheeled walker with a seat) as well as a service dog and have had no difficulty. Except once at Glenview when my Empire Builder sleeper attendant failed to show and the alert attendant in the next car came down to open the door for me. There was a moment when I was sure the train would leave without me, and that was decidedly unpleasant.

That's what my husband has, is a rollator. He's taking the narrowest one. I've seen the size of the hallways, lol. I can imagine you were sweating it waiting for the attendant. I would have been too.

When boarding by myself, I usually go out to a well-lighted section of the platform and make eye contact with the engineer in the locomotive. More often than not, they radio the conductor (I travel with a scanner) and stop the train with my door very near me. I put my camera away so they do not mistake me for a railfan not riding.

We will be leaving from Cincinnati at 1:41am to Chicago at an unmanned station.

Checking the Amtrak information for Cincinnati, it says that checked baggage service is available. If so, then, the station would be considered manned. Wouldn't it?

Checking the Amtrak information for Cincinnati, it says that checked baggage service is available. If so, then, the station would be considered manned. Wouldn't it?
Yes, but they also say the waiting room is closed on Mondays and I have verified that it is not. My understanding is that is is considered an unmanned station. When I called the museum they put me through to the safety department. They are on the premises 24/7. Somewhere in the vast amount of things I have read about Amtrak, I believe I read it used to be manned but is not any longer. I may be wrong. Many articles are not dated.

Edit: All I could find was an article from May 22, 2020 saying that the station was going to start staffing the station again as they have pulled staff in 2018. Amtrak to bring staff back to Cincinnati Union Terminal for overnight train

Last edited:
Yes, but they also say the waiting room is closed on Mondays and I have verified that it is not. My understanding is that is is considered an unmanned station. When I called the museum they put me through to the safety department. They are on the premises 24/7. Somewhere in the vast amount of things I have read about Amtrak, I believe I read it used to be manned but is not any longer. I may be wrong. Many articles are not dated.

Edit: All I could find was an article from May 22, 2020 saying that the station was going to start staffing the station again as they have pulled staff in 2018. Amtrak to bring staff back to Cincinnati Union Terminal for overnight train
Cincinnati Unstaffed Amtrak Station Update About the state of the station in 2018 after they removed staff. I can not find anything about them actually restaffing with Amtrak personnel. I'd call to ask, but I don't have the hour to spare. :) Maybe if I wake in the middle of the night, I'll call.

Back