Traveling from Boston to DC - decisions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
We are planning on traveling from Boston to DC. Acela has a good fare in BC, or we are thinking of the overnight on #67 with a bedroom (we have to overnight in BOS prior to departure, so this would be a timesaver option).
My questions are: IF we buy the BC on Acela with a refund option, and they run a deal, can we cancel and rebook on the same train at the lower fare?
IF we take the Bedroom, with a 9:30pm departure and a 7:00am arrival, will there be any meals served? Or just go to bed and wake up in DC?
Amtrak has been running so many deals, we hate to book now and lose out on a 2 for 1, or insane $39 fare deal.
Thoughts appreciated!

Although you may already be aware of it, I believe that the overnight Boston -DC trains are suspended. I am not aware that a re-start date has been announced. Corrections would be welcome.

There’s no diner on the night owl. I doubt they give you a voucher for the cafe with a 7 am arrival.

Before 66/67 were suspended they were giving out snack boxes.
I just happen to have watched Jeb Brooks' 2021 review (not very favorable) a couple of days ago. He said that box breakfasts were in the room when they boarded, but they were also given the option to get breakfast items in the cafe car at no cost.

Amtrak has been running so many deals, we hate to book now and lose out on a 2 for 1, or insane $39 fare deal
If you want to take Acela, I wouldn't count on any deals in the next few months. Fares have been quite pricy of late and looks that way for the medium-term. Even moreso if you're booking First Class.

If you want to take Acela, I wouldn't count on any deals in the next few months. Fares have been quite pricy of late and looks that way for the medium-term. Even moreso if you're booking First Class.
Cheapest days are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Cheapest fares are $35 on a Regional and $87 on an Acela. First Class isn't worth it unless using an upgrade coupon. Sometimes Acela is worth it on this section as you can save 1-1:20 hours off the Regional times, which are still way too slow.

Although you may already be aware of it, I believe that the overnight Boston -DC trains are suspended. I am not aware that a re-start date has been announced. Corrections would be welcome.
That's interesting-when I called to get pricing, the agent quoted me both a roommette & a bedroom. This is for the end of May. I think we are leaning towards the Acela now.

That's interesting-when I called to get pricing, the agent quoted me both a roommette & a bedroom. This is for the end of May. I think we are leaning towards the Acela now.
The overnight 65/66/67 is supposed to be back by the end of May, starting just before the Memorial Day weekend. Of course what will actually happen is anybody's guess in the pear shaped world we live in these days.

I've taken 67 in coach and business class, and I've never missed the lack of food service. As someone said, it gets into Washington at 7 in the morning, and it's easy enough to pick up a perfectly good breakfast at the station. The advantage of the sleeper is that you can sleep lying down, and you have more privacy. Coach in 67 consists of Amfleet 1 corridor coaches, which I personally think aren't quite the best for an overnight trip, but that might depend on how much recline you need to sleep. I would take 67 in order to avoid the expense of a night in a hotel and to have a full day to do something else at either my origin city or destination.

For the Acela, while I enjoy riding First Class, I'm not sure that the premium over the business class fare ($100+) is worth the money. I usually ride it using points or upgrade coupons I get for having status in Amtrak's frequent traveler program. You do get more spacious seating, an open bar, and meal service, though the food menu is limited. The Acela ride from Boston to Washington is about 6 and a half hours, and they do have a cafe car for business class passengers. The Northeast Regionals are another option, they take about an hour longer than the Acela. Northeast Regionals have a cafe car and business class, which provides seats with more legroom and recline than coach, plus they have assigned seating, so you don't have to rush to be first on board to find a decent seat. Business class on the Northeast Regionals is usually, but not always, cheaper than business class on the Acelas. As far as coach on the Northeast Regionals, they are also Amfleet 1 corridor coaches, and though I previously siad I wouldn't like them for an overnight trip, they are fine for a day trip.

I've taken 67 in coach and business class, and I've never missed the lack of food service. As someone said, it gets into Washington at 7 in the morning, and it's easy enough to pick up a perfectly good breakfast at the station. The advantage of the sleeper is that you can sleep lying down, and you have more privacy. Coach in 67 consists of Amfleet 1 corridor coaches, which I personally think aren't quite the best for an overnight trip, but that might depend on how much recline you need to sleep. I would take 67 in order to avoid the expense of a night in a hotel and to have a full day to do something else at either my origin city or destination.

For the Acela, while I enjoy riding First Class, I'm not sure that the premium over the business class fare ($100+) is worth the money. I usually ride it using points or upgrade coupons I get for having status in Amtrak's frequent traveler program. You do get more spacious seating, an open bar, and meal service, though the food menu is limited. The Acela ride from Boston to Washington is about 6 and a half hours, and they do have a cafe car for business class passengers. The Northeast Regionals are another option, they take about an hour longer than the Acela. Northeast Regionals have a cafe car and business class, which provides seats with more legroom and recline than coach, plus they have assigned seating, so you don't have to rush to be first on board to find a decent seat. Business class on the Northeast Regionals is usually, but not always, cheaper than business class on the Acelas. As far as coach on the Northeast Regionals, they are also Amfleet 1 corridor coaches, and though I previously siad I wouldn't like them for an overnight trip, they are fine for a day trip.
When the seats were restuffed and recovered, and the carpet changed, that made a big difference in the AM-1. Many of the seats were pretty well shot, cushion wise, but they are pretty good now. Still way better room than typical airline coach. I probably would not pay for F/C on Acela, but I have mentioned a couple of trips where I needed to get my mom to Baltimore when she was still alive, and she had broken her hip and was pretty limited in mobility. She also needed to have meals on a schedule, and at seat service was a huge plus. The Acela schedule just happened to work perfectly for when relatives could meet us at the station.

Last edited:
In my case FC is $350 more than BC. No way to justify that cost. And we’d love to overnight on the train but can’t risk it not being back in service. Actually just tried to price it out again and it shows “sold out” so they have taken it out of commission since I started this thread. Going for BC and going to enjoy the ride-as always!

Back