Traveling in Business class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
In my review of my latest junket, on Palmetto from SAV - FAY - SAV, I told about the seat assigning by the train attendant. I was super annoyed because as a solo traveler, all of the seats by the good windows were blocked for couples/groups of three or more/groups. Since I am just riding the train to see the scenery go by, I want a good window. Also, those of us going shorter distances were shunted into the Amfleet I car, with cramped leg room. Plus, before the second stop - Charleston - the attendant went around writing down the numbers on the empty seats and when new passengers got on, they were holding little slips of paper with these seat numbers on them. I think she was making sure all the solos got seatmates! There was no such regimentation when I got on the return train in FAY. But then, at that point in its journey, more people are getting off than on, so there are ample seats. My previous time taking this trip, I rode Business Class on the return. But, I am wondering if I elect to do Business Class on the way up, I will still be restricted as to where I can sit? I am considering another soon, as I have been restricted to FAY as destination to be able to make the trip the same day. But the end of this month and six days in March, 89 will be traveling two hours later than the usual schedule due to construction in VA, so I could conceivably go as far as Rocky Mount and make the turnaround the same day.

A second question: The Palmetto has the same consist as the Pennsylvanian. There are four trainsets. Do they use the same two trainsets all the time on one route, or do they switch them around? I was in SAV in time to see 98 come through Tuesday a couple hours late, and by some stroke of fate 89 was late too. I looked her over, and I could swear that all of the coaches were Amfleet I...Smaller windows. CJ

Would be unusual for 97/98 to run with Amfleet I, but substitutions do happen.

Hi Carolyn - if they did not do this, then all the single passengers would take window seats and be spread out, and any couples or small groups (such as a couple with a kid or 2) would not be able to sit together. It would not be good to have 4 people in the same family each sitting apart, especially if some of them are small kids. I went on a NE regional recently where they do not regulate this and I had to look through 3 cars to find 4 seats together for me, my wife and 2 small kids. Otherwise I would have my 2 small kids each sitting with a stranger, not necessarily near me. I think this is a good rule that they do.

I think one's opinion on how Amtrak regulates coach seating on the LD trains is dependent on whether one tends to travel alone or in groups.

As someone who often rides alone, what I find particularly irritating about the policy is not having any choice about sitting next to someone who I know in advance is going to annoy the heck out of me. OTOH, ailrines do this to me on a regular basis, but I usually do at least have a choice in advance for a window seat and I've avoided WN (Southwest) because of the cattle lines and no pre-assigned seating. I understand why pre-assigned seating on Amtrak does not work, which is due to the fact a train stops at multiple places on its run and conductors like to group destinations into the same car/area.

I've never traveled BC on the Palmetto. Ironically I was originally going to do just that tomorrow, but due to track work, # 89 is departing 2 hours later than the normal schedule from ALX.

Hi Carolyn - if they did not do this, then all the single passengers would take window seats and be spread out, and any couples or small groups (such as a couple with a kid or 2) would not be able to sit together. It would not be good to have 4 people in the same family each sitting apart, especially if some of them are small kids. I went on a NE regional recently where they do not regulate this and I had to look through 3 cars to find 4 seats together for me, my wife and 2 small kids. Otherwise I would have my 2 small kids each sitting with a stranger, not necessarily near me. I think this is a good rule that they do.
Mike,

I think that Carolyn understands why the attendant assigned seats. It seemed to me that she was objecting more to why the attendant picked all the good window rows for groups and all the obstructed view rows for the singles. The attendant should have gone half & half, that way at least some singles would have gotten a good window instead of a bad window.

One long window serves two seats...but the person in the rear half of the window has a wide view, but the person in the seat in front has the window end about a foot in front of them, and to see what is coming would have to lean to the side toward the window, and forget taking pictures, if the weather were permitting...CJ

OK, I know what you mean about good and bad window. I recently picked a not so good window - my seat had a window, but in front was that big divider thing, so I could not see too much of what was coming up, just to the side. But the seat in front of me had no window at all - this divider thing was like 2 feet or so long, not the regular divider that is like a half of a foot (this was maybe the very middle of the car). So they had zero window unless they look out the window of the person in front, but you really can't see much from there.

Hi the_traveler - Sorry for my ignorance, but are Amfleets just the basic trains for the NE regional (like no footrest, not much leg room)? They are not the same as Viewliners? I don't remember this long wall on the Viewliners I've been on, but its been several years.

Hi the_traveler - Sorry for my ignorance, but are Amfleets just the basic trains for the NE regional (like no footrest, not much leg room)? They are not the same as Viewliners? I don't remember this long wall on the Viewliners I've been on, but its been several years.
Well the cars without footrests used on the corridor are indeed Amfleet cars. However, they are called Amfleet I cars, as they are short haul coaches. They can also be found in Maine, between Buffalo & NYC, on the Carolinian and selected trains out of Chicago.

Then there are Amfleet II cars, which do have more leg room, a foot rest, and a calf rest. These cars can be found on all single level, long distance trains like the Crescent & Silver Service.

At present there are only Viewliner Sleeper cars, and 1 Viewliner dining car. This will be changing over the next 2 years or so as Amtrak takes delivering of more Viewliner Sleepers, Diners, and Baggage cars. Currently there are no Viewliner coaches or cafe cars, and none are in production nor on order.

Then there are Horizon single level coaches and cafe cars. These are largely found running out of Chicago.

Finally, we come to Amtrak's double decker fleet, which is called a Superliner car.

Carolyn,

The Palmetto used to run with the half cafe/half faux leather biz class with 2x1 seating. Every time I've gone out there for the last year or two, I've only seen the Amfleet II all-biz car. The advantage, though, is that there is a lot less traffic in BC this early in the trip. And you will certainly be in an Amfleet II rather than risk being in an Amfleet I. Frankly, I thought all coach seats on the Palmetto trainsets were Amfleet I's.

Finally, the biggest disadavantage to BC on the Palmetto is that there is likely no Wifi available unless they have upgraded their system. I believe only the Amfleet I's have Wifi capability.

Out of personal curiosity, if you miss 89 coming back, what do you do for the 12 hour wait for 97?

I have found that for leisure trips, I also enjoy going South to Winter Park, grabbing an Ice Cream and returning. Almost the same amount of time on the train, but less dwell time in WPK with a risk to missing the return if running late. But the contingency is only a 6 hour wait in a very trendy town. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, the biggest disadavantage to BC on the Palmetto is that there is likely no Wifi available unless they have upgraded their system. I believe only the Amfleet I's have Wifi capability.
Correct; only the Amfleets I cars have been outfitted with WiFi capability.

Would the 1/2 Cafe, 1/2 Faux Leather BC coach have WiFi, though?

Would the 1/2 Cafe, 1/2 Faux Leather BC coach have WiFi, though?
Yes! That car is both an Amfleets I car, and as the cafe car it also has the WiFi base in that car. All the coaches just have a WiFi repeater, the actual cellular modems that provide the uplink are always in the cafe car. In fact for example, on the Maple Leaf, getting BC means you have WiFi while in the states. Go coach and you won't have WiFi because they're all Amfleet II's.

On my previous Palmetto ride, I did BC on the return, and I believe it was an Amfleet I BC coach, no leg rests but plenty of legroom. And wifi. As far as missing the connection, I figure 90 isn't going to lose time going north, and as it starts in SAV, it will be on time there...and I have monitored the times of the 89 and it still seems to run late, even with the two hour later departure...CJ

Mike,

I think that Carolyn understands why the attendant assigned seats. It seemed to me that she was objecting more to why the attendant picked all the good window rows for groups and all the obstructed view rows for the singles. The attendant should have gone half & half, that way at least some singles would have gotten a good window instead of a bad window.
is it easier to get a "good" windows seat in business class on the Palmetto?

thanks!

Mike,

is it easier to get a "good" windows seat in business class on the Palmetto?

thanks!
It probably depends more on what city you are boarding than what class you are in...ie how full will train be when you board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back