Traveling w/ 2 small kids in coach bad idea

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cindy

My husband and I are traveling to San Antonio from Bloomington, IL on Amtrak because it was way cheaper than flying. But we have two kids (ages 2 and 5). Are we crazy traveling in coach? It was going to be $800 more from a room with beds. I might as well flew on a plane for that. Any comments? It's our first train trip.

One night in coach isn't that bad. The seats are large and comfortable and they do recline back far enough to get some sleep. You will probably want to visit the sightseeing car a few times during your trip, and you will be able to walk through the train - so you won't be restricted to your seats like a bus or airplane. Bring plenty of toys/activities for the kids to pass the time and you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Coach on the Eagle probably wouldn't be that bad for you on an one night trip. Many travelers do it everyday on our Silver Service trains down here. One thing you may want to request is Lower Level seating. Although you do not recieve the view that you do on the upper floor it may be a wise choice with small children as there is next to no traffic in there (except for your fellow passengers if there are any on the lower floor) and it is also much easier to access the bathrooms (that way you don't have to tramp up and down the stairs every time one of the two little ones has to go (or does go in the case of your 2 year old). The Sightseer Lounge is a very nice car which features large picture windows, swivel chairs and couches and a snack bar on the lower level. At one time it was said that the Eagle was no longer carrying a Sightseer Lounge, I will try to find a consist to confirm this. The Dining car may be a wise option, as they offer full meals. Click here for a list of Dining car menus. This page also has many good hints and tips for your trip. One thing you may want to look into is upgrading to a sleeper on board. The prices are discounted by 20% and are combineable with other discounts like AAA. Enjoy the trip!

Coach should be fine, just bring along a pillow and blanket (only a small airplane sized pillow is handed out), reading material, music, etc. Upper or lower level, it's your prefrence. I'd go with the upper because the ride is a bit smoother and has better views. Depending on your car attendent, s/he can move your seats if you are unhappy where you sit. The Texas Eagle should have its lounge back, but if not there will be a coach with a cafe on the lower-level serving light meals, snacks, and beverages as on the menu B-51 linked to you. The diner is nice, but may get costly for a family of four. Nevertheless you should have a very enjoyable trip! :)

I was on the Texas Eagle twice in January. The Sightseer Lounge car was present both times. The second time (last week of Januay) was filled with kids (between Dallas and San Antonio), so much so that the Lounge car attendant ran special kids movies all day.

sleepers can be purchased from the conductor on board at a reduced rate (if available). At NO time are sleeper fares subject to AAA, Senior, or any other discounts. Discounts apply only to coach fares

Cindy, also keep in mind that if you decide to try the dining car, do it early in your trip since there is no dining car service south of Fort Worth. Assuming the train is reasonably on time, that means no evening meal on your second day. Of course the snacks and sandwiches on the lower level of the lounge (or cafe coach) car are always there. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you do get a Sightseer Lounge car on your train . . . . . definitely the place to enjoy the trip from.

The sleeper price is negotiable if there are free. For 4 people you may consider two "standard" (economy) rooms. Last time I purchased Emeryville - Denver economy sleeper from the conductor for $120 instead of >$380 if I'd do it on-line or from an agent.

You may also consider to buy the sleeper for the night portion of the travel only. You won't get the free meals, but you could cut the price even further.

George

Cindy,

Just want to say I think you're giving your kids a nice treat, seeing a part of Americana that might (God forbid, but with "W" possible) someday be gone. Two is not too young. I have flashes of images from when I was in Europe at that age. It'll make an impression. Also, all the kids I saw on the train last summer were having a blast.

Take care,

Scott

It is just possible that your children will actually ENJOY the trip, not just endure it, esp. the five year old. I was taken on my first train trip when I was three and have truly been riding them since!!...Not to take your problem lightly, but,really, it is just posssible they will be fascinated by the whole thing. These will be new experiences for them.

For someone who has never been on a train before, it is difficult to describe how much room there is relative to the plane. You will find the coach seats about the same size as first class seats in the air, but with much more leg room; perhaps twice to three times more - depending on the airline you are comparing with. The isles are much wider as well. Finally, the absence of seat belts and the freedom to walk around will spoil you. Especially on the Texas Eagle, which is usually not crowded in coach, I suspect you will not have trouble, and the kinds will enjoy it.

As someone who has traveled with a child for many years, the key to keeping them well-behaved is to keep them busy. Make sure you pack their favorite toys (those that you can easily travel with). Gameboys are convenient, Game Cubes are not. Bring crayons and paper, books, etc. And if you ask to be seated near other families, there is a good chance your kids will bond with other kids around their age. That way each set of parents can take turns taking a break from watching them.

Bring medications just in case, such as cough medicine. You never know when they might wake up with a sneezing or coughing fit. There is nothing more annoying to other passengers than a kid constantly coughing at 2:30 AM. Trust me, I know the dirty looks!

And the busier they are during the daytime, the better chance they will sleep better at night.

Have a nice trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back