Travelling in a Superliner Roomette on lower deck

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. Due to another cancellation, I have been rebooked onto the Texas Eagle from Chicago to LA but my allocated Roomette is room 11 on the lower deck. I have travelled on about 5 long distance journeys in the past and have always had a Roomette room on the upper deck.

I would love to hear your experiences and and opinions from those who have travelled in rooms on the lower level, and in room 11 in particular.

I can upgrade to a full bedroom for around $750. But travelling alone, this is a big cost over 3 nights just to get on the upper level and have my own shower.

I’ve called Amtrak and asked if any upper deck rooms are available but there are not. They recommended calling closer to departure or even asking the carriage attendant on the day.

Any other thoughts or opinions would be great. Would you stick with room 11? Would you pay to upgrade to a bedroom? Would you change your travel day to a day when you could get the upper level? Or would you be happy with room 11 on the lower level.

I only get to travel long distance like this every few years so I like to make the most of each journey. This is my first time on the Texas Eagle travelling Chicago to LA.

I did the CZ in a lower roomette once. Views a bit more restricted than upper, of course, but otherwise the diff is insignificant IMO. The one thing I did like about it was that we had a long enough layover in the Denver station that I could go to the restroom in the station, fill my bottle of water and get some paper towels, and wash my compartment’s outside window! So I could SEE THE VIEWS!

There are pluses and minuses and they may or may not be meaningful on an individual basis. Since there is not presently an SSL on the TE climbing the stairs to go there is off the table But it still applies to meal service or snacks unless you choose to eat in the room. The view out the window upstairs is usually better. Downstairs you are close to multiple toilets and the shower, upstairs there is one restroom in a SL sleeper, so downstairs is usually somewhat cleaner and less likely to have any waiting. Handy in the middle of the night. Less sway but more track noise. 11 is next to the luggage rack and sort of opposite the stairs so you might hear clunking when people get on and off. On the other hand, it makes it easier to use things you store on the rack to be accessed enroute. I would have no problem with it on the TE, on a train where I went back and forth to the SSL for scenic stretches I might feel differently.

Last edited:
Roomette 11 is my favorite: I'll call to request it. I don't see much difference in view quality downstairs, and don't notice an increase in track noise. There is in fact less noise due to less traffic in the hallway, and I never heard any noise from the luggage rack. It's great to be close to the luggage rack, door to go outside at fresh air stops, three toilets, and the shower.

Roomette location and whether to upgrade to a bedroom or not are matters of personal preference. You have roomette 11 and you have never travelled in a lower level roomette so I suggest that you try it and see if it is something you prefer or not. Hope you have a nice trip.

Another advantage to the lower level is being able clean not only the outside surface of your sleeper window (as mentioned by Steve4031) but also to clean the outside surfaces of the entry door windows - making for clearer photos from both sides of the train.

I have had Roomette 13 and like the location. Didn't have to haul my carry-on up and down the narrow stairs to get to/from a roomette on the upper level. Having the shower and more restrooms on my level was a major plus for me. Noise? Didn't really notice anything much different between the two levels other than there is less traffic passing by my accommodation. I also didn't notice any difference in the ride comfort, either.

Hello. Due to another cancellation, I have been rebooked onto the Texas Eagle from Chicago to LA but my allocated Roomette is room 11 on the lower deck. I have travelled on about 5 long distance journeys in the past and have always had a Roomette room on the upper deck.

I would love to hear your experiences and and opinions from those who have travelled in rooms on the lower level, and in room 11 in particular.

I can upgrade to a full bedroom for around $750. But travelling alone, this is a big cost over 3 nights just to get on the upper level and have my own shower.

I’ve called Amtrak and asked if any upper deck rooms are available but there are not. They recommended calling closer to departure or even asking the carriage attendant on the day.

Any other thoughts or opinions would be great. Would you stick with room 11? Would you pay to upgrade to a bedroom? Would you change your travel day to a day when you could get the upper level? Or would you be happy with room 11 on the lower level.

I only get to travel long distance like this every few years so I like to make the most of each journey. This is my first time on the Texas Eagle travelling Chicago to LA.
I was in roomette 11 on the empire builder. I had never ridden upper or lower but can say I did like being by the door and the bathrooms. Went last April so mostly stayed in the room cuz of covid. I did wonder if riding higher would get rid of so many opposite going train views!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice! It’s made me very excited for the trip again. I never thought about having the chance to clean my window at stops and having all the amenities at my door. I’m keen to try it now and compare. It’s just so good to be able to travel again!

There are advantages / disadvantages for both upper and lower levels. The lower level allows easy access to bathrooms and shower... and for stops... but not as good a view while upstairs allows easy flow to the SSL and dining car and slightly better view... seems it all evens out. And yes... you can clean your window at stops where your side is where the door opens.

I had planned to take coach back from LAX to HOS during my "Railfan Madness, Part I" trip back in 2015. But I kept checking, and a low-bucket lower level roomette opened up a few weeks before my departure (believe it was #11, but not completely sure). I snagged it and I'm very glad I did. Made a pleasant conclusion to a great trip; no issues with the room, access, service, or A/C at all and the trackside scenery (what there is of it on that route...) was just fine. Try the lower level!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice! It’s made me very excited for the trip again. I never thought about having the chance to clean my window at stops and having all the amenities at my door. I’m keen to try it now and compare. It’s just so good to be able to travel again!
That sounds great and please let us know how your trip in a lower level roomette compared with your previous trips on the upper level.

My wife & I have an upper and also a lower level roomette from Alton, IL to Tuscon beginning March 6 and two lowers returning March12-14. My wife's sister is boarding in Austin and has a bedroom (but is flying back home from Tuscon). We are looking forward to the trip to see her 99-year-old aunt, a cousin, and my grandnephew's family. I'll try to post something about the trip when we return home to MO.

Back