Tray Meal showing for #20/51/59

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
As opposed to "Flexible Dining", amtrak.com is showing "Tray Meal" when you click on the details section for these trains.

I assume this is just for Sleeper passengers... I guess the meal choices are the same as on the flexible menu?

Who remembers the old "Tray Meal Table Service" back in the 1990's? I don't think I ever actually experienced one but it made its way to quite a few eastern trains.

I had one on #67 out of Boston around the turn of the century. Quite good, and the meal as well as accompanying wine was complimentary.

My wife and I were served tray meals in an Amfleet dinette on the Broadway Limited in 1994. The food was not bad, and the carnation at each table was a nice touch.

They used to do "tray meals" on the Albany-Boston section of the LSL. Cold lunch plate (usually a salad of some sort with protein) eastbound and a hot meal for dinner westbound, served in one half of the Amdinette like the Cardinal. They resembled a domestic First airline meal on a shorter flight and weren't that bad.

Here is the tray meal for 28 PDX - SPK from a little over a year ago; when traveling more recently remembering an 'ordering allowance' from the lounge car; have no idea what it is now.

amtrak-empire-builder-KGenter-dinner-1.jpg

In Russia you can apparently order an airline tray of food delivered to your home! Perhaps some enterprising souls could start delivery of Amtrak meals?

When traveling by rail in China, Korea, Taiwan, and Japan, you can get extravagant bento boxes at station stores. If train travel picks up after this epidemic some entrepreneur might expand the idea here. Some of the larger Amtrak stations have Pret A Manger with high quality and healthy meal boxes to bring with for around $10. I actually got one like this when boarding the Cardinal in WAS for CHI. Amtrak had already started that 'contemporary dining' nonsense and this fresh salad meal really hit the spot! 🤠 😋

45_Superfood-Salad_1.jpg

They used to do "tray meals" on the Albany-Boston section of the LSL. Cold lunch plate (usually a salad of some sort with protein) eastbound and a hot meal for dinner westbound, served in one half of the Amdinette like the Cardinal. They resembled a domestic First airline meal on a shorter flight and weren't that bad.
I agree! I used to enjoy riding the BOS Section of the LSL when this was SOP for Sleeper Passengers.

Back