Trip on the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zepherdude

OBS Chief
So, I am thinking of an extended trip from NPY to Eugene Oregon via the Crescent to the Sunset to the Coast Starlight. I have never been on the Crescent and wondering what to expect as scenery goes. I know the Sunset is very dull through Texas and the rest, some cattle, steers and other assorted critters. I suspect the trip from NYP is pretty cool down to New Orleans. It is a fairly cheap trip and can get lots of rest and even spend some time doin some Blues in NOL! Lotta time on the train but will break it up some. Any thoughts?

Though I can't say I've been on the Crescent for more than ATL-BHM, I do know the area very well. Unfortunately, the Crescent travels the most scenic area, Southern Virginia through Northern Georgia at night, but there is some ok scenery between Atlanta and Anniston as it crosses the southern tip of the Appalachians and goes through one tunnel. Most of the appeal for the daylight portion of the Crescent is seeing America's backyard in my opinion. For me, the scenery is as much the stuff you don't normally see from the roads as it is crystal clear rivers, lush green valleys, and sweeping mountain ranges which are typically described as "scenic."

As someone who has been on the full length multiple times (although both directions leaving from and terminating in Atlanta), I say don't expect anything particularly good. Going through DC was fun and crossing Lake Pontchartrain kinda eerie (it looks like the train is riding on the water from inside), nothing much else was memorable. A lot of trees close to the train hid the countryside.

The other Posters pretty much covered the Crescent so Ill mention the Sunset Ltd.

Leaving New Orleans youll cross the Huey Long Railroad/Highway Bridge across the Mighty Mississippi River followed by a trip through the swamps and waterways of Louisiana!

Once you cross the Texas Border youll stop in Beaumont (sight of the Old Infamous Cement Slab Station now gone/a new Station is Building!) Then youll stop in Houston, the Old SP Station is right downtown but it will be night so you can see the Skyscrapers in Downtown, roll out along the Freeway for San Antonio where youll arrive about 2-3AM, theyll hook a couple of Cars from the Texas eagle to your Train,, then youll Roll out about 5:40AM for Del Rio (brief stop), after which youll roll past Lake Amistad(Border Between Mexico and USA), cross the Pecos High Bridge (Highest Railroad Bridge West of the Mississippi),perhaps a Flag Stop in Sanderson, a Stop in the Small Mountain Town of Alpine, Texas (Mile High like Denver!), then roll through the Desert to ElPaso where you will have a stop where you can go into Beautiful Old Station. Youll Roll out along the Mexico Border, will actually be able to look down into Peoples yards and Houses in Mexico, then along the Infamous Iron Fence where you are in New Mexico! Except for the Pecos Bridge/Alpine and El Paso the Scenery is Desolute, Mesquite Trees and Sand and Rocks! (wont see many Cows but you may see Deer and Antelope!)Youll stop in Tuscon about 10-11PM, Old Station there but not much to see except a an Old Steamer, then off to the Infamous Maricopa (Closest stop to Phoenix but there's no there there!) After a stop in Yuma in the wee Hours youll be in California, roll along the Salton Sea,(a failed resort from the 50s), past Large Windmills that Generate Electricity, into Palm Springs for a Brief Stop, then across the Dessert and into the LA Basin and into LA Union Station!

Its a Long Ride but usually has Good Equipment, Good Food and Good OBS, youll enjoy it, lots of Interesting People on this Train and you may even get to see the Dogs and the Agents of Uncle Sam Checking the Train along the way! Its not as Bad as you think, Enjoy the Journey! :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has been on the full length multiple times (although both directions leaving from and terminating in Atlanta), I say don't expect anything particularly good. Going through DC was fun and crossing Lake Pontchartrain kinda eerie (it looks like the train is riding on the water from inside), nothing much else was memorable. A lot of trees close to the train hid the countryside.
Don't forget Big Foot in the swamps north of Slidell...

There are always Big Foot sightings in Oregon, if fact, every year there is a Big Foot "Happening" along a river with BBQ, massive amounts of beer and tall tales of Big Foot sightings and bonfire chat telling of real life encounters. Somewhere in the early AM, Big Foot makes a guest appearance or we think its Big Foot! We always shake his hand and get a Big hug from THE MAN (or whatever)?! It takes a couple of days to recover from the event! So much BBQ ya know????!!!!!!!!!!

Back on topic, I always heard the train was crowded to ATL and empties out there, I am looking forward to the trip as I have traveled little along the route.

They must change engines in Washington, and go from there. Also, always read the service was one of the betters trips on Amtrak. From the old dayz I suppose. I am excited and up about the trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic, I always heard the train was crowded to ATL and empties out there, I am looking forward to the trip as I have traveled little along the route.

They must change engines in Washington, and go from there. Also, always read the service was one of the betters trips on Amtrak. From the old dayz I suppose. I am excited and up about the trip!
The train generally runs pretty close to full WAS-ATL and maybe 50% from ATL south.

Yes, change from electric to diesel at WAS, that's one reason for the long layover there.

Have a good time !

There are always Big Foot sightings in Oregon, if fact, every year there is a Big Foot "Happening" along a river with BBQ, massive amounts of beer and tall tales of Big Foot sightings and bonfire chat telling of real life encounters. Somewhere in the early AM, Big Foot makes a guest appearance or we think its Big Foot! We always shake his hand and get a Big hug from THE MAN (or whatever)?! It takes a couple of days to recover from the event! So much BBQ ya know????!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the demographics and thus the ridership has always been more NYC to ATL than ATL to NOL. And the Crescent, just like the Silvers, is powered by electric between NYC and WAS and diesel south of there. It is a grand old train name but almost all name trains on Amtrak are names used in the past, even where the exact routes and such do not always match.

For example, the original historical Crescent went between ATL and NOL via Montgomery and Mobile rather than via Brrmingham and Meridian as is done today. Long, long story.

Is that Traveler stomping his big foot because they closed the Sidell loophoole. :rolleyes: :giggle: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Just did a two week trip similar to this... Crescent PHL-NOL Sunset NOL-LAX and Starlight Lax-SAC and back same way all in bedrooms I loved the sunset. Great food and service both ways. The crescent was good to. The starlight sucked. Air did not work right and obs was subpar. So much for the premier train. Sunset won my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back