Trip Report 8/21/21 – ABQ to DER - Southwest Chief #4 / Wolverine #350

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks and sure thing! Currently, only those with rooms can eat in the dining car so they are far less crowded than in the past with no coach passengers there. In fact, they're doing the opposite and are trying to keep folks at separate tables. (An odd shift from the past!) There would be no problem with both of you going in and sitting down just the two of you!

(Btw, I like that idea of going in on two roomettes...I was thinking the same thing when taking my mother out on a trip next year.)
Thanks for getting back to me. We are both vaxed, but you never know who isn't. You have explained it well and made me feel better about it. Yes, we always get roomettes. We always call and talk to a representative so we get them across from each other and make sure we are in the same car. Also, we try our best to get as far back from the restroom as possible. Less noise and sometimes smell that way. Have a great time if you go on your trip next year. What a nice thing to take your mom on a trip. We are thinking of going to Seattle next yr if covid is better and the rates aren't at a sky rocket price. Thanks again.

Arrived in Chicago!

Had a small delay due to flag protecting a crossing due to signals being out. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Pinky was an absolute treasure, as were the rest of the crew I interacted with. Not a huge number of pics on this trek on board...just more of the food.

Stored my heavier bag at the station's baggage area (unfortunately, the Metro Lounge won't store them overnight, even with Business class ticket the following day). But I will be able to retrieve it tomorrow early for my Wolverine departure.

Two of the #4 crew are staying at the hotel so enjoyed a brief chat with them.

I was considering (let's say...salivating) over the idea of Giordano's for lunch, but going solo and with just a fridge no microwave to reheat...I'm going for Thai/sushi at a place I've gone before. That should put me right to sleep!

Till tomorrow 😴

Attachments

• 20210822_132425.jpg
    20210822_132425.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210822_140217.jpg
    20210822_140217.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210822_142114.jpg
    20210822_142114.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210822_142321.jpg
    20210822_142321.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210822_145205.jpg
    20210822_145205.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210822_145313.jpg
    20210822_145313.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210822_150045.jpg
    20210822_150045.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210822_151321.jpg
    20210822_151321.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210822_151400.jpg
    20210822_151400.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 24
Arrived in Chicago!

Had a small delay due to flag protecting a crossing due to signals being out. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Pinky was an absolute treasure, as were the rest of the crew I interacted with. Not a huge number of pics on this trek on board...just more of the food.

Stored my heavier bag at the station's baggage area (unfortunately, the Metro Lounge won't store them overnight, even with Business class ticket the following day). But I will be able to retrieve it tomorrow early for my Wolverine departure.

I was considering (let's say...salivating) over the idea of Giordano's for lunch, but going solo and with just a fridge no microwave to reheat...I'm going for Thai/sushi at a place I've gone before. That should put me right to sleep!

Till tomorrow 😴
Pinky sounds great. I hope we get that service also. I have seen that Silo with the piece of corn. It is huge. I live in Illinois. I have a picture of it on my phone.👍

We are are in cars 330 and 430. I hope we have her. She sounds great. 👍. I already have plenty of money put away for tips. How are the tips done in the dining room. I am thinking $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch and$5 for dinner. Or $5 for any thing delivered to my room no matter what meal it is. Does that sound o.k. ?

We are are in cars 330 and 430. I hope we have her. She sounds great. 👍. I already have plenty of money put away for tips. How are the tips done in the dining room. I am thinking $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch and$5 for dinner. Or $5 for any thing delivered to my room no matter what meal it is. Does that sound o.k. ?

Hi there!

There are a nice group if posts regarding tipping you can find here TIPPING. But what you just stated, is about right (is all pretty subjective, of course). I tend to follow that guideline as well and adjust up for stellar service!

I woke nice and early to make sure I could grab a sandwich for the ride and pick up my bag (5:30 ishhh). The bag pick up was smooth and no charge.

Metro Lounge was closed initially but was opened around 6:25am...just enough time to get some water. No coffee or food.

Boarding was as smooth as could be expected. A few folks confused about the café car being colocated with the business class, but understandable for first-time/infrequent riders! We're registering about 80% full with two empty seats in bc.

Also, got a greeting from someone recognizing my virtual railfan mask! 😀🚅

Attachments

• 20210823_062823.jpg
    20210823_062823.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210823_063112.jpg
    20210823_063112.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210823_064723.jpg
    20210823_064723.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210823_065243.jpg
    20210823_065243.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Arrived in Chicago!

Till tomorrow 😴
Something about that "To All Trains" in Chicago just gets me so excited. But I have decided to wait to do out-of-state travel until next June (covid).

Something about that "To All Trains" in Chicago just gets me so excited. But I have decided to wait to do out-of-state travel until next June (covid).
My friend wants to go to Seattle next yr. It would be at the end of Sept/early oct. But I am hesitant about booking it with this new Delta. So I totally understand how you feel. I will wait and see what the situation is in January through March before I do any booking, if at all. I have my fingers crossed more people will be vaxed and less will be infected. ( Wishful thinking ).

What hotel?

Home sweet home to Dearborn station (Detroit area). We were within 10 min of expected arrival time. This was such a great trip and the SWC was on my bucket list to do...and I look forward to soon taking it westward all the way! 😊
Enjoyed your trip report!

Also, got a greeting from someone recognizing my virtual railfan mask! 😀🚅
Do you work for them? Or do they have a store with masks.

What hotel?

Enjoyed your trip report!

Do you work for them? Or do they have a store with masks.

--It's the Holiday Inn & Suites - Downtown. They frequently have the train engineers/staff here as it's a block away - and one reason I sometimes stay here!

--Thanks! More photos next time but I like reporting on the dining and overall conditions since that's a frequent point of inquiry.

-- Just a member! I have some merch from their store and I wanted to wear some when I shamelessly inserted myself on one of the rail cams at Flagstaff (holding up a sign). 😁 😜

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did some net research. I remember it was on one of our East Glacier trips. Here is what I found near Mendota Illinois.
I can't remember what side of the train I was setting on when I saw it.

Later this summer, a silo owned by Northern Partners will serve as a canvas for a gigantic 65-foot ear of corn and become the very first “silo art” installation in the region.
It was under an Ear of Art from the Mendota paper. Dated Jun 13, 2018.

Last edited:
Back