Trip Report - Amtrak Acela Non-Stop (NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie12

Train Attendant
Hi All - if anyone is interested I wrote a trip report on a trip I took on Amtrak's non-stop Acela back in January - I'm so excited for all of this to be over and to be back on the rails!

It's long so I'll post the link:
Our Ride on Amtrak's Acela Nonstop from NYC to Washington DC | Train

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the old Acela train-sets once the new ones arrive? I personally would love to see them replace some NE Regional trains between Boston and DC, maybe with some trains going through to Virginia but others connecting to some sort of Virginia corridor trains?

Hi All - if anyone is interested I wrote a trip report on a trip I took on Amtrak's non-stop Acela back in January - I'm so excited for all of this to be over and to be back on the rails!

It's long so I'll post the link:
Our Ride on Amtrak's Acela Nonstop from NYC to Washington DC | Train

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the old Acela train-sets once the new ones arrive? I personally would love to see them replace some NE Regional trains between Boston and DC, maybe with some trains going through to Virginia but others connecting to some sort of Virginia corridor trains?

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading it.

Your tip about where to arrive at Penn Station is a good one, if one does not have luggage with which to deal. There is no elevator at that location, only stairs and the escalator. I had 2 pieces of luggage and a carry-on. With only 2 hands, getting the luggage down to the Station floor was a problem. Being a very busy location, I was reluctant to take one bag down to the Station floor, leave it, and then retrieve the second bag still (hopefully) in the 8th Avenue foyer. Seeing an Amtrak employee coming up the escalator who was on her lunch break, she said, I asked her for help which she somewhat reluctantly, at first, provided. She saw my predicament and did help me get my luggage and me safely to the Station floor. I should have offered her a tip or get her name, but did not think about it at the time.

NYP platforms do have elevators, but they generally go to the intermediate (LIRR) level not the main and would require a transfer. Red Caps will take you down either by elevator or escalator, depending on which track.

NYP platforms do have elevators, but they generally go to the intermediate (LIRR) level not the main and would require a transfer. Red Caps will take you down either by elevator or escalator, depending on which track.

There is no elevator at the 8th Avenue entrance and there are no Red Caps available.

Good point, I was really thinking about in the station. The original design was the center driveway for drop off, but terrorism fears killed that off. In all these years, the 8th Ave side has not been addressed. Even the subway added an elevator. Not sure if the Moynihan entrances will take care of this.

There are a bunch of different ways, you can walk to the center drive (closed to cars, but last I checked ok for peds) or 7th Ave. If you don't need a red cap, I think the LIRR entrance on 34th has an elevator, but not sure. They used to have red caps waiting at 8th to walk you around, but I haven't seen them in a while.

Back