Trip Report - Coast Starlight from Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
About 1.25 hours from Klamath Falls, and thus headed for the “miracle trestle.” Not too much freight on this line—just passed a freight at Chemult. How many freights does UP run from Redding to Eugene? The engines were really huffing trying to climb that loooonng grade from just south of Eugene to Chemult. We went about 30 mph much of the time. The scenery was spectacular though.

Even here, you can smell the smoke. The moon is orange.

Last edited:
It's still an easier climb than Siskiyou Summit, which is why the train goes that way. Not sure how much north/south freight there is.

We crossed over the Dry Canyon trestle at about 11:30 PM. I took pictures as we crossed this “Miracle Trestle.”

I wonder if they had a “ribbon-cutting” ceremony when it was reopened last month…

Attachments

• BE2CEC53-09CF-4C7F-9830-2542CD2DB4C7.jpeg
    BE2CEC53-09CF-4C7F-9830-2542CD2DB4C7.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 5D0ADA4B-A26B-4DFE-A95D-9091F73FFDAD.jpeg
    5D0ADA4B-A26B-4DFE-A95D-9091F73FFDAD.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 98AF30A1-25F0-48CE-BCC7-56850A19BF2B.jpeg
    98AF30A1-25F0-48CE-BCC7-56850A19BF2B.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 28
We were stuck north of Chico for over 2 hours due to a broken-down freight. Now, we’re in Sacremento with no running water in our sleeper!

We were stopped at Oakland for about 2 hours. Apparently, the had to have a contractor come and sterilize the bathrooms in one of the Coaches. Someone came aboard further up who had COVID-19 symptoms. Then we were stuck due to freight interference. I never knew Amtrak had to hire someone to sterilize the restrooms…

Well, we arrived at LAUS at 12:12 AM—three hours, 12 minutes late. I will do an overview of the trip in the near-future.
Still beats performance a few years ago when UP was always screwing that train. It was arriving after 2 am routinely almost every day. I had sworn off of it. UP had finally driven me off.

Now that kind of lateness is unusual, sorry you got caught by it.

We were stopped at Oakland for about 2 hours. Apparently, the had to have a contractor come and sterilize the bathrooms in one of the Coaches. Someone came aboard further up who had COVID-19 symptoms. Then we were stuck due to freight interference. I never knew Amtrak had to hire someone to sterilize the restrooms…

This raises any number of questions:

Did the person exhibiting the symptoms submit their pre-boarding check-in?

Once the person was identified as exhibiting COVID symptoms where they isolated or handed over to medical personnel at the next stop?

If this person was riding in coach, were the other passengers in that coach informed of the possibility of their having been exposed to COVID?

This raises any number of questions:

Did the person exhibiting the symptoms submit their pre-boarding check-in?

Once the person was identified as exhibiting COVID symptoms where they isolated or handed over to medical personnel at the next stop?

If this person was riding in coach, were the other passengers in that coach informed of the possibility of their having been exposed to COVID?
Good question. One of the conductors told me this. I think it was the assistant conductor—he did not seem to be in a good mood when I asked. I understand HIPAA, since I work in a hospital. I figured we were stuck because of a derailment or disabled freight.

I’m a big boy who understands his needs well. I know when I’m running a fever and not feeling well. However, there are, unfortunately, crazy people who still insist on traveling when sick.

Back