Trouble trying to plan Christmastime travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverviewer

Train Attendant
I've been trying to figure out how to travel via Amtrak from Tampa, FL (where I live) to Red WIng, MN (where my Mom lives) over Christmas. She moved into an assisted-living facility earlier this year, and she said she can't travel down here like she's done for the past several years.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to take Amtrak between here and there (& back). Flying is not an option, as the case of the flu that i got a month ago from a fellow passenger on a TPA-PHL flight on US Airways caused me to miss the wedding of my nice, the purpose of the trip. (And now we have Ebola to worry about.....)

When I checked the Amtrak website, no information--fare or otherwise--was available.

When I checked AmSnag, they only had info on northbound travel--and NO coach fares. As for southbound, it says "Trains only run 3 days a week, or has already left the station" when I tried to find trains/fares for a December 27th departure from RDW.

Looks like Mom and I will each be alone this Christmas, if nothing can be found to get me there & back.

Try splitting up the trip at Chicago, as all connections to the east coast from the Empire Builder have been broken, except for the Lake Shore Limited.

you should expect to spend Saturday night in Chicago, so that you have a greater chance of making your connections.

Basically, you need to overnight in Chicago. In both directions. If you plug Tampa-Chicago and Chicago-Red Wing into Amtrak's website *separately*, you'll get information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back