Trying to book Tucson to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can't I book a train from Tucson to Seattle online? Site keeps saying no trains are available even though I'm booking on a day the SSL runs. There is an over 4 hour layover in LA - more than enough time to catch the 10:10 Coast Starlight. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Probably the Alisal Fire in the Santa Barbara area mentioned post #2.
Are you trying to book for this week or, sometime further out in the future?
Try a "test" booking for another day and see if you get the same result.

It looks like no through booking onto the Starlight from anything. SWC, the SL, even the Surfliners. I tried dummy bookings well into November in case it was fire related service disruption.

Bay Area points are routed using the San Joaquin. You can force the Starlight using Multi-city.

Ordinarily I'd say Amtrak decided to cut the guarantee. But cutting the guarantee for the Surfliners?

It looks like no through booking onto the Starlight from anything. SWC, the SL, even the Surfliners. I tried dummy bookings well into November in case it was fire related service disruption.

Bay Area points are routed using the San Joaquin. You can force the Starlight using Multi-city.

Ordinarily I'd say Amtrak decided to cut the guarantee. But cutting the guarantee for the Surfliners?
More Brilliant thinking from the Executive Suite!🤪

I'm guessing it's Arrows time of the month. :)

That said simply because SEA to TUS is bookable on the next available date - this coming Saturday with a 60 minute layover in LAX between the CS and SL on Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's Arrows time of the month. :)

That said simply because SEA to TUS is bookable on the next available date - this coming Saturday with a 60 minute layover in LAX between the CS and SL on Sunday.
Yeah but the west/northbound aren't there. The south/eastbound connections are. And that is funny because that Starlight/Sunset 60 minute connection has always seemed short.

Why can't I book a train from Tucson to Seattle online? Site keeps saying no trains are available even though I'm booking on a day the SSL runs. There is an over 4 hour layover in LA - more than enough time to catch the 10:10 Coast Starlight. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Phone and the agent will arrange a multi-city trip for you. As you, I couldn't get connecting trains to appear online, no problem for a reservation agent,

I don't have the answer, ask the agent. Amtrak appear to have removed a lot of online stuff this year, but the agents we dealt with were superb.

But would the multi city be a guaranteed connection in LA? That's my concern.
It wouldn't necessarily be. Even multi-city prevents you from making impossibly short connections (like 5 minutes in Chicago). It depends on how you interpret. Amtrak says most connections 60 minutes or over are guaranteed, and not all connecting city pairs are in Arrow for connections (connections have to be added in manually). But losing all connections to the northbound Starlight looks like something deliberate.

Thanks everyone for your help. Today I can book online Tucson on the SSL to Seattle via LAUS on the Coast Starlight. And I suppose one can book a Surfliner too to the CS. Don't know why it wouldn't do it yesterday.
It is now apparent there was a pending schedule change for the Starlight, effective 10/25. The connections were probably temporarily cut while they were getting that ready, because all the connections would have had to have been re-entered due to the schedule change. That is at least a reasonable explanation for their temporary disappearance.

However, the southbound to eastbound connection from the Starlight to the Sunset now appears to be cut. With Starlight arriving at 9:11 pm, it is under the 60 minute minimum for guaranteed connections.

Back