TS/Hurricane Gordon Service Adjustments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelRider

Service Attendant
It's that time of year again! With Tropical Storm/Predicted Hurricane Gordon headed for Louisiana, railroads are closing levy gates and bridges due to high winds starting this morning. Service changes:

2(02) terminates Houston. Alternate transportation provided.

1(04) originates Houston. No alternate transportation.

19(03) terminates Atlanta. Alternate transportation ATL-NOL provided.
19(04) terminates Atlanta. No alternate transportation.

20(05) originates Atlanta. No alternate transportation.

20(06) originates Atlanta. No alternate transportation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! I have a friend who was booked on 20 on 9/5 from Meridian to PHL. Yesterday she received a call that 20 would be canceled, so she rebooked for today. So far today she has heard nothing from Amtrak. I just texted her with this information and of course, it did not please her and she hopes this information is inaccurate with regard to train 20.

Ouch! I have a friend who was booked on 20 on 9/5 from Meridian to PHL. Yesterday she received a call that 20 would be canceled, so she rebooked for today. So far today she has heard nothing from Amtrak. I just texted her with this information and of course, it did not please her and she hopes this information is inaccurate with regard to train 20.
Oops, copy/paste error. It is 20(05) and 20(06) that are cancelled.

Oops, copy/paste error. It is 20(05) and 20(06) that are cancelled.
That is what I was thinking given that 19(3) and 19(4) are terminating in Atlanta

#2 had been showing service disruption since yesterday, its over 3 hours late leaving San Antonio. So I guess the consist will be watered and sewage dumped at San Antonio. Is Houston a refueling stop?

Shouldn't a P42 be able to do San Antonio - Houston - San Antonio without refueling?
Probably could make the round-trip. Also probable it'll be fueled in Houston, anyway. It's about 420 miles round-trip so we'll say 430 giving a generous 10 miles to wye the train. Nationwide average is ~2.25 gallons per mile equals 967.5 gallons round-trip. Add layover time, about 27 hours as the train is running now. Assuming the 9 car consist pulls ~300kW, you'll burn 28 GPH in standby HEP, so that's another 756 gallons. Total consumption would be around 1,725 gallons, not much margin of error.

I have definitely seen Amtrak refueling from a truck in Houston before, especially when the Houston section of the Texas Eagle was still a going concern.

Shouldn't a P42 be able to do San Antonio - Houston - San Antonio without refueling?
Not a good idea at all. Imagine the posts if the train ran out of fuel waiting for some obstruction to clear ? No HEP in the hot Texas summer ?
How about San Antonio - Houston one way?
default_wink.png

Not a good idea at all. Imagine the posts if the train ran out of fuel waiting for some obstruction to clear ? No HEP in the hot Texas summer ?
That's actually happened many times on the Texas Eagle. A single old and tired P42 + a heavy double decker train + the Texas heat, is not ideal.

Back