Twilight Rail?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Amtrak knows that some of its cars and employees photos are being used in this “scheme”?

Nothing but buzzwords. I'm trying to put together a presentation to start a small passenger railroad right now, and investors want to see information on how their investment could return real money. I doubt this company does anything other than put up that snazzy site.

What's the point of a dome car for an overnight trip between LA and San Francisco?
In this particular case, not so much, other than as a sales aid.
That said,, back when short domes were in use, as long as the crew dimmed the lights at night, you had a surprisingly good view out, especially if you enjoyed watching the headlight play along the scenery, and watching the signals ahead...
On a bright moonlit night, you could see the scenery pretty well. The B&O used them on its Washington/Chicago overnight trains, and even equipped them with floodlights angled to light up the trackside scenery of the Allegheny's.:cool:

That said,, back when short domes were in use, as long as the crew dimmed the lights at night, you had a surprisingly good view out, especially if you enjoyed watching the headlight play along the scenery, and watching the signals ahead...
On a bright moonlit night, you could see the scenery pretty well. The B&O used them on its Washington/Chicago overnight trains, and even equipped them with floodlights angled to light up the trackside scenery of the Allegheny's.:cool:
It's the same reason VIA had them on the Ocean. The scenery is pleasant enough, but not "dome-worthy" in the mountain sense. However, watching the route ahead at night as you've said or seeing the sun rise with your morning coffee/tea in the dome car are two of the great experiences of rail travel.

Just California Dreamin' - but as long as we are doing just that, make it a daytime run and enjoy the dome car! 'Warning' that this vid requires an investment in time... 14:48 minutes; but... if you have the time... c'mon along!

It's the same reason VIA had them on the Ocean. The scenery is pleasant enough, but not "dome-worthy" in the mountain sense. However, watching the route ahead at night as you've said or seeing the sun rise with your morning coffee/tea in the dome car are two of the great experiences of rail travel.

It's 9am and we're heading to Montreal on the Ocean on a sunny and cold morning......but it warm and cozy up in the Dome and complementary coffee is available. You'd think the Dome would be full but it's wide open! And it was no different the previous day. The obvious railfans had staked out the front seats but most others would just wander up for a few minutes then return to their accommodations.

It’s good to see dome cars are still alive and well, in regular service. Thanks for posting!🙂

I meant “regular” as opposed to “special”
as in a private car, or an excursion train...

I wonder if there's a dome currently on the Canadian restart out west, considering there's no Prestige Park, no lounge access and no movement from one's space except to the diner for breakfast and dinner. Coach passengers are getting at-seat service and sleeper passengers must eat lunch in their rooms. Would it make sense to tow cars that serve no revenue purpose?

It's 9am and we're heading to Montreal on the Ocean on a sunny and cold morning......but it warm and cozy up in the Dome and complementary coffee is available. You'd think the Dome would be full but it's wide open! And it was no different the previous day. The obvious railfans had staked out the front seats but most others would just wander up for a few minutes then return to their accommodations.

Brought back memories...
74365345_2454407167927692_9010384827689467904_n.jpgDSC05091.JPG

Back