Twilight Shoreliner to be Suspended for 11 days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
Because of Track work the Twilight Shoreliner is going to be suspended between Washington D.C. and Newport News to accomodate track work. Passengers can still use Trains 94 and 95, but 95 may be delayed for an hour due to the track work.

The change is in effect beginning today Monday March 3, 2003 and is expected to remain in effect until March 14.

Click Here for the Story from Trainorders.com

I hate to see anything disturb the operation of that train. I think it has a unique function. I wish it still had that set-out sleeper from NYC to DC, or Newport News, for that matter(if that set-out sleeper were still being operated today).

Even if a train did not have a sleeper I think a 12:30am departure in New York with a 60 minute layover in Philly with an arrival in DC around 5:00am would get a good market, especially for those who see plays or shows that get out late in New York. A counterpart could run from Washington to New York.

Keep in mind the Shoreliner will still operate between Boston and Washington, just not Newport News. I agree, its unfortunate this train is affected.

Amfleet said:
I know. I was just making up an idea for an overnight New York-Washington only train, since the Shoreliners schedule is a little uneasy.
I agree about the Shoreliners segment being uneasy for NYP-WAS in Particular.

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
I know. I was just making up an idea for an overnight New York-Washington only train, since the Shoreliners schedule is a little uneasy.
I agree about the Shoreliners segment being uneasy for NYP-WAS in Particular.
While I do agree that the calling times for the NYP - WAS market aren't great, that's not the Shoreliner's primary market. The market the Shoreliner is trying to cater to is Boston to Washington. Even for that market Amtrak has shifted the trains calling times to somewhat questionable hours.

They should either push back the arrival times at BOS & WAS or go back to a setout sleeper like they used to. They should also really have a setout coach at WAS. Of course Amtrak doesn't currently have a sleeper that they can afford to setout at DC.

For a business person traveling from BOS to WAS or the reverse, the Shoreliner provides an arrival at the end point cities that allows a traveler to leave after work on day #1 and arrive at their destination in time for an early morning meeting on day #2.

Thanks to Metroliner's and Acela's a business traveler wanting to catch an early morning meeting in the NYP - WAS market can simply catch a 5:00 AM or 6:00 AM train.

However the first Acela out of WAS doesn't reach BOS until almost noon. That's way to late for a morning meeting, and it's no better from Boston to DC.

That's because the first deparutre from DC to Boston is a 5:00am which means it does not depart New York until 8:00am. I think there should be at least an 5:00am and 6:00am departure from New York to Boston. This could be why ridership has not been so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back