Two different headlines on Brightline accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect eventually they will have to fence a lot more and also eliminate many more grade crossings. Should be quite a challenge.

Elevated track like on the LIRR South Shore line to Babylon may be in their future since the population is going to keep growing along the ROW for the next few decades at least.

I agree that the Fox headline is stupid, but one small redeeming feature is that the article plants the blame firmly on the driver, repeatedly. But the headline is all that a lot of people read when they are skimming news sources.
While the Fox headline doesn't get any information wrong, it withholds one extremely relevant part of the story.

Causation is important. This crash would not have happened if the driver had obeyed the law.

Essentially, one headline absolves the driver of any wrongdoing.
The other acknowledges how the driver's wrongdoing lead to their death and their passenger's death.

Headline 1:
"Car struck in the middle of intersection killing driver and passenger"

Headline 2:
"Car runs red light, leading to lethal crash at four way intersection."

I suspect eventually they will have to fence a lot more and also eliminate many more grade crossings. Should be quite a challenge.

Elevated track like on the LIRR South Shore line to Babylon may be in their future since the population is going to keep growing along the ROW for the next few decades at least.
You're right, but will the capitalists that own Brightline want to cough up the dough needed for all those improvements? I guess they will if they need to do it to keep the trains running but spending the $$$$ needed will sure mess up their bottom line. I'm increasing my odds that this service eventually gets turfed off to the public sector.

You're right, but will the capitalists that own Brightline want to cough up the dough needed for all those improvements? I guess they will if they need to do it to keep the trains running but spending the $$$$ needed will sure mess up their bottom line. I'm increasing my odds that this service eventually gets turfed off to the public sector.
Who is to say that the local governments or the state won't contribute. Witness what is happening with the New River Bridge in Fort Lauderdale and the entire Northeast Corridor Project.

I don't think that the high price service will get turfed, but the local service already is. And since all use the same tracks, necessary changes to tracks will be made to enable the more frequent local service, than the less frequent high priced and faster service. As long as it is found to be convenient it will get funded some way or the other.

Who is to say that the local governments or the state won't contribute? Witness what is happening with the New River Bridge in Fort Lauderdale and the entire Northeast Corridor Project.

I don't think that the high price service will get turfed, but the local service already is. And since all use the same tracks, necessary changes to tracks will be made to enable the more frequent local service, than the less frequent high priced and faster service. As long as it is found to be convenient it will get funded some way or the other.
The several grade separations on the Joint Line from Denver into Littleton included funding from the RTD, municipalities, CDOH>CDOT, federal funds and the two railways. Some parts were done in the 1980's, others as part of the 2000 opening of the Southwest LRT line. It was a lengthy project but eliminated a lot of problems. Florida should start planning now.

Summer05rwr 030.jpg
A Denver overpass takes Evans Avenue over a BNSF industrial lead, double-track LRT line, and triple-track Joint Line.

Last edited:
Back