Two Questions about the Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 400

Engineer
#1:  My Roomette is in the 11 car on both #97 and #98.  Is this the Sleeping Car next to the Dining Car?

#2:  I am boarding #97 at Washington.  Will my SCA have already made a dinner reservation for me?

The 10 car is next to the dining car. 

Most likely your SCA will make an 8pm dinner reservation for you if you board 97 in WAS. 

I rode in Car 9811 on the Meteor #98. It is the 2nd of the 3 sleepers. I had a very nice and helpful SCA, hopefully you get her! They usually take seating times once you get aboard, depending on what time and where you board. I boarded at Kissimmee and had lunch immediately after boarding. I’ve never taken #97, so I can’t say about that train.

On every single-level LD train but the Lake Shore (that is the Star, Meteor, Card, and Crescent), car xx10 is the sleeper closest to the Diner. On the Lake Shore, car 48/4911 is closest.

For Superliners, the rule is generally that xx30 is closest to the Diner (with xx40 being the Trans-Dorm), however on the California Zephyr, car 05/0631 is closest.

Please remember that the OP asked about the Silver Meteor. 

Thanks for the replies.  I expect my 11 car will be the 2nd Sleeping Car from the Dining Car and that I ought to expect a dinner reservation for 8:00 P. M. that was made by my SCA when boarding in Washington.  

No time for "Happy Hour" prior to dinner that night since the Lounge Car will probably not open until the train gets to Alexandria.  (This thought is based upon my experience on the Crescent leaving Washington.)  My "Happy Hour" seems to be needed as a post-dinner occasion.  

I think I will bring with me a mini-bottle of something to "toast" the start of another Amtrak adventure as we depart WUS.

Depending on the passenger load, and when the train leaves WAS, your dinner may be earlier than 8 pm. 

And if the Meteor is running well behind coming into WAS, the Club AcelA staff has been good about handing out meal money knowing the Diner will be closed (this was pre-Anderson at least).  Last time we got $25 each.

Depending on the passenger load, and when the train leaves WAS, your dinner may be earlier than 8 pm. 

Your message is a bit of a surprise to me.  Since the train is not supposed to leave until 7:25 P. M. would I be seated in the Diner prior to the train's departure from Washington?  I know that the "power" goes off while the locomotives are switched.  I'd think that the Dining Car Chef would be unable to prepare a dinner during that time.

If an early dining time is "assigned" to me and I choose to appear in the Dining Car, maybe at 8:45 P. M., will that be a problem for me to be seated?

Your message is a bit of a surprise to me.  Since the train is not supposed to leave until 7:25 P. M. would I be seated in the Diner prior to the train's departure from Washington?  I know that the "power" goes off while the locomotives are switched.  I'd think that the Dining Car Chef would be unable to prepare a dinner during that time.

If an early dining time is "assigned" to me and I choose to appear in the Dining Car, maybe at 8:45 P. M., will that be a problem for me to be seated?
I usually want to be seated ASAP and have been given a 7:45 time in the past. I would check with your SCA if you want a time later than what has been given to you. I have ridden 97 from WAS more times than I can count, but I have never requested a later dinner reservation. 

To follow up on what the previous poster said about the train running late, I agree with him.  I have not experienced the late situation recently either, so I don’t know if the procedure has changed under the new administration.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back