Two questions (Acela Boston to NY)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

maybe someone could help me with two questions. It is our second visit in the US after 1999 and the first one where we wonna go by train.
I booked 2 tickets with Acela from Boston South Station to New York.

The train goes at 6:05 in the morning. How can I imagine the boarding process? Does it take long time. I only know it from Europe that I go in the train and during the drive the ticket is controlled there.
We have an eTicket with reserved seats. When should we be at the station when the train should leave at 6:05?

Second question is that I wanted to do a BidUp for the first class. I filled everything but it was not possible to send. The button was still greyed out. I am sure that I filled everything correctly.

Thanks in advance everyone and best regards.
Stefan

Be aware that there's construction at South Station. (They're building a hotel over the platforms.) A lot of the gates are closed, but the boarding process isn't too complicated. When they announce the train, passengers line up at the gate and walk out to the appropriate platform/track and board the train. The Acela has reserved seating, so you'll have to pay attention to the car number, which is located on the outside near the door. You might find it helpful to have a redcap take you out to the train, which allows you to board before the masses do. A tip of $5 is the usual for such a service, maybe a bit more if you have a lot of bags. In the case of the Acela, boarding first isn't as necessary, because your seat is already reserved, and this there's no need to rush to grab a good seat. If you're traveling first class, you can use the Metropolitan Lounge, which is very nice, but up a flight of stairs that can be a pain with luggage. In that case, definitely leave it with the redcap at the door and have him take you to the train. It's $5 well spent.

Your biggest worry would be getting stuck in traffic on the way to the station. 20 minutes before departure should be plenty of time, if you are already at the station or within walking distance. I've had no problem catching commuter trains when arriving 5 minutes before departure, but Amtrak may be more strict. The traffic should not be too bad at that time, but I would allow at least double whatever time Google says it should take to get to the station, unless you are walking.

Boarding is quick. Boston is the end of the NEC line, so all the parallel platforms are connected to a wide cross platform. The waiting room has multiple wide double doors that open onto the wide platform. Those doors are normally unlocked, with lots of people going in and out continuously. (They discourage you from standing outside on the main platform until your train has been called, but I don't think they would force you back inside.) Each of the parallel platforms serves 2 tracks, and there are electronic signs at the end saying which train on which track is boarding. They put up the signs when the train is announced. At that time, the conductors are positioned along the train to direct passengers to the correct cars (for Acela, 1st class and Business class) and one or two at the end of the platform who check tickets and make sure passengers are on the right platform and are ticketed. The lines usually move pretty quickly

If you want to check any baggage, you need to check it at least 45 minutes before departure (5:20 AM). I don't know if the Acelas have checked baggage between Boston and New York. I looked at the Amtrak web site but they no longer list the printed schedules, which had the information about which trains and stations have checked baggage service. Perhaps you can tell by booking a ticket, then cancelling it before paying?

Most trains call for boarding about 15-20 minutes before departure, and at some stations, they close the doors from the waiting room to the platforms 5 or 10 minutes before departure, but they have never done that in BOS. It would be very awkward because the platforms are accessible directly from the street and there are numerous commuter trains that use the same waiting room, doors and platforms. However, there is a major construction project underway (for the past year and many years into the future), which might have changed everything. Ask me in June, after I ride the next time!

Your biggest worry would be getting stuck in traffic on the way to the station. 20 minutes before departure should be plenty of time, if you are already at the station or within walking distance. I've had no problem catching commuter trains when arriving 5 minutes before departure, but Amtrak may be more strict. The traffic should not be too bad at that time, but I would allow at least double whatever time Google says it should take to get to the station, unless you are walking.

Boarding is quick. Boston is the end of the NEC line, so all the parallel platforms are connected to a wide cross platform. The waiting room has multiple wide double doors that open onto the wide platform. Those doors are normally unlocked, with lots of people going in and out continuously. (They discourage you from standing outside on the main platform until your train has been called, but I don't think they would force you back inside.) Each of the parallel platforms serves 2 tracks, and there are electronic signs at the end saying which train on which track is boarding. They put up the signs when the train is announced. At that time, the conductors are positioned along the train to direct passengers to the correct cars (for Acela, 1st class and Business class) and one or two at the end of the platform who check tickets and make sure passengers are on the right platform and are ticketed. The lines usually move pretty quickly

If you want to check any baggage, you need to check it at least 45 minutes before departure (5:20 AM). I don't know if the Acelas have checked baggage between Boston and New York. I looked at the Amtrak web site but they no longer list the printed schedules, which had the information about which trains and stations have checked baggage service. Perhaps you can tell by booking a ticket, then cancelling it before paying?

Most trains call for boarding about 15-20 minutes before departure, and at some stations, they close the doors from the waiting room to the platforms 5 or 10 minutes before departure, but they have never done that in BOS. It would be very awkward because the platforms are accessible directly from the street and there are numerous commuter trains that use the same waiting room, doors and platforms. However, there is a major construction project underway (for the past year and many years into the future), which might have changed everything. Ask me in June, after I ride the next time!
Acelas DONT have checked Baggage , only 66/67 ( which are currently not running) have this service on the NEC.

Hello everyone,
thank you for the tipp with the foreigner creditcard. Then I will not do a BidUp. I tried AmericanExpress and VISA card. It was not possible to do a BidUp by GooglePay, Paypal or something like that. Think the business class should be as well too and some coffee and a sandwich we could buy in the cafe of the train.
We will go with the Acela in the middle of March. We arrive on the Logan Airport from Munich in the evening, go to the hotel, get up early and then go by train to New York. I booked a hotel 0,4 miles diestance to the South Station.
Thanks for your information about the boarding process. That sounds easy.
The luggage we can store over our seat I think?

Based on the hour of your trip you should have no issues with arriving at South Station 30 minutes before your departure. As has been mentioned South Station has a major construction program underway, but the gates are still easy to access, and are usually posted 15 to 20 minutes of departure time.

As for the Bid Up process, if your trip is on a weekday, these early AM Acela trips usually sell out the First Class car, as these trips are popular for business travelers attending meetings in New York City, which are back on the rise with COVID restrictions being relaxed. First Class Acela service also includes meal service which also appeals to early AM travelers.

Ken

Boarding Amtrak at south station is easy, and I never arrive more than 5 minutes before (if I am within walking distance). You can arrive through the main doors, the subway entrance, or a side street entrance off of Atlantic Ave that take you directly to the platforms.

So far the construction has been of no effect on the boarding process for 90% of trains.

If I have to rely on the Red Line to get there, I leave a buffer just for the red line.

Enjoy Boston! We do indeed have a nice city!

There are always exceptions to the norm. I would probably never do Acela FC, I have done BC (coach) over a NER based on schedule and occasional favorable pricing, but once, when my mother was alive, I needed to take her to a to a memorial for her brother in law in Baltimore. She needed to eat at regular times, and had recently recovered from a broken hip, and used a walker. At seat full meal service made life much simpler than me going to cafe/bistro and waiting (crowded train) and bringing things back.

Hello,

maybe someone could help me with two questions. It is our second visit in the US after 1999 and the first one where we wonna go by train.
I booked 2 tickets with Acela from Boston South Station to New York.

The train goes at 6:05 in the morning. How can I imagine the boarding process? Does it take long time. I only know it from Europe that I go in the train and during the drive the ticket is controlled there.
We have an eTicket with reserved seats. When should we be at the station when the train should leave at 6:05?

Second question is that I wanted to do a BidUp for the first class. I filled everything but it was not possible to send. The button was still greyed out. I am sure that I filled everything correctly.

Thanks in advance everyone and best regards.
Stefan
Stefan, I have been riding trains between Providence and New York since the 1950's and occasionally I've gone to South Station too. You need to be at the station and on the platform before the train pulls out. Even if you're at the wrong car you can just walk through the train. The only exception to that is if you have to check baggage.
I am a frugal traveler and only ride Northeast Regional trains so I can't advise you about the bidding up process on Acela.
If you have an east facing seat (on the left side of the aisle) you will be looking out over the ocean south of Providence and then again around New London. Have a pleasant trip. John

I hear that the MBTA is planning to install fare gates at South Station for checking commuter train tickets. That wil lmean Amtrak passengers will have to scan their tickets to get access to the platform.
Another downside of this is that the convenient access to the bus terminal via platform 1 will be no more and one transferring will have to go out to the street :(

I hear that the MBTA is planning to install fare gates at South Station for checking commuter train tickets. That wil lmean Amtrak passengers will have to scan their tickets to get access to the platform.
Another downside of this is that the convenient access to the bus terminal via platform 1 will be no more and one transferring will have to go out to the street :(
That is certainly bad news especially when you have a close connection from a late train to a bus. (Note that it usually doesn't happen vice versa because the buses are operated far better than 448). I hope people will keep us posted on this development.

Yes, at North Station and Back Bay as well. Construction is due to start soon. It is really unfortunate and extremely stupid IMO. No need for them, as they will still have conductors on board to check your ticket to make sure you paid for the correct zone! UGH Commuter Rail Station Fare Gates | Projects | MBTA

Back