Two questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Conductor
I may be taking a train trip with 2 or 3 family members in August 2018 from Los Angeles to Dallas or Fort Worth. Three are pretty much going for sure so I was going to get two roomettes across from each other. Not sure if this trip will include 3 or 4 passengers. Would it be wiser to make the reservation for 3 and just add the 4th on later if he decides he can come (college considerations)? Or make it for 4 and revise it to 3 if he can't make it? I'd rather not lose a ton of points and would like to do whatever is the least amount of hassle? If I did add him later, would the fare be the going bucket rate at that time or would it be the lowest bucket?

I'd like to go to Dallas but can get off at Fort Worth if that is advantageous. I have an engagement that I want to keep for Sunday night, the day I would be arriving. Ideally, I'd rent the car in Dallas and all would be okay but some rental agencies close at noon and others at 3 PM. I'd have to get off in Fort Worth and be right on time to make a 3 PM time. DFW has 24 hour rental but that's a bit of a jaunt I'd imagine. Any ideas on how to manage a Sunday car rental from either Fort Worth or Dallas?

Thanks.

Any time I use Amtrak to get someplace and it's important to not be late - I always plan on staying overnight in a hotel after getting off the train. Always. Without fail.

Other than that, I know nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get off at Dallas and take DART to Love Field and pick up your Cadillac there.

3 people or 4 doesn't matter as the room charge is per room. So you can book with 3 and add the 4th later - all you pay is the additional coach fare.

There is an Enterprise office relatively close to the Dallas train station that I used in November, they picked up and dropped off, but check their hours to see if they work for your arrival/return. I was leaving on a TE to Chicago, not sure which way you are headed.

There is an Enterprise office relatively close to the Dallas train station that I used in November, they picked up and dropped off, but check their hours to see if they work for your arrival/return. I was leaving on a TE to Chicago, not sure which way you are headed.
While not at Dallas, but I have gotten some really good service from Enterprise. For me, the local rental office is well aware that Amtrak trains can run late so they left my car at the hotel next door, and the keys/paperwork at the hotel's front desk. So, I would certainly call their local office directly, and see what the manager can do for you.

IMHO it might be safer to use an airport location with longer hours. A 3 hour delay would put you in Dallas probably after the local office closes. There are fewer options for flexibility in a large city for just leaving the car. You could then take DART to either airport to get your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

You could get off at Dallas and take DART to Love Field and pick up your Cadillac there.

3 people or 4 doesn't matter as the room charge is per room. So you can book with 3 and add the 4th later - all you pay is the additional coach fare.
I believe that is known as an 'open sleeper' ticket, and would have to call Amtrak to book it.

I have added someone to my reservation with no complications. They just paid the current bucket rail fare since I had already paid the accomadation charge. In Dallas, since you will arrive mid to late afternoon, I would plan to pick up your car at Love. Downtown offices generally close at 5 and are closed weekends, or just open Saturday mornings.

The office I used (Elm St) is 730-6 weekdays, 9-4PM Sa and Sunday. Many companies can tranfer a resv to an airport location over the phone in case of an Amtrak meltdown. Keep in mind rates are usually different, many airports levy very high fees to vendors. Worth making phone calls in advance to see what works best for you.....

Thanks to all that replied. I think I may just leave two days earlier and get there on Friday afternoon. I'd opt for ONE day earlier but the train doesn't run that day. It means I will have to take off two more days of work but also means no pressure to get there on time on Sunday.

Dan

Correct. You should book for three and add a fourth later. The 'rail fare' for a sleeper automatically goes to the lowest bucket coach fare. Thus, adding a fourth person later will always cost the same as if you booked for four from the start. Whereas if you initially book for four people, you would be out that money from the start, and if you later wanted to change it to three people, Amtrak might be resistant to any refund or choose to give you the difference in an e-voucher. Point is, if you book for three and later change to four, you are guaranteed to only pay the total cost of the ticket, and not be stuck with some vouchers.

Any time I use Amtrak to get someplace and it's important to not be late - I always plan on staying overnight in a hotel after getting off the train. Always. Without fail.

Other than that, I know nothing.
This is good advice. Otherwise, you could be in a state of angst, hoping you'll get there on time.

Back