Two things in AZ re freight engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Conductor
Recently drove on I-10 through AZ and saw two things of interest. One place we saw a lot of engines all apparently on the same track. I mean there were at least 30 and maybe 50 or more. I was driving and didn't see them until someone pointed them out so missed some of them. Any idea what they would be doing there?

Secondly, we saw some work on an engine near a rest stop. That I could take a picture of and will try to add it to this post. There was some kind of backhoe there so maybe fixing track under the train? No idea on this one either.

Thanks.

Florida Trip 699.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have specific info on this particular situation but UP keeps Lots of Engines in mothballs around El Paso and in the SE desert. ( also there is the Airplane Graveyard outside Tucson since the desert is kind to uneeded vehicles )

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what may be going on in the picture above? There were 2 additional engines a bit down the track from this.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know for sure. If you look carefully you can see that there are two lifting cranes each facing one another, so that one is lifting from one side and the other from opposite side. The one on side near engine has crane hook down appearing as if it is going to lift something. The other the hook is up. Perhaps replacing a broken couple? I don't know if the pictured crane could lift Engine if it had derailed. Just guessing.

TheOldMan shortened form TOM

Back