Two Zone Roomette, Two People, Two Embarkation Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slasharoo

Service Attendant
I tried searching for this in past posts, but was not sure what to look for... My brother and I want to go to Washington D.C. in a roomette, but we will be travelling from different cities. Me from Chicago, him from Topeka. He will take #4 to Chicago and we'll both get on the #30 to D.C. The reverse will be the opposite. We want to each use our respective points for one direction of travel. Will there be a problem if he boards in Topeka without me and on the return, if I get off in Chicago, can he transfer to #3 without me there if it's my ticket purchase?

Not a problem long as both of your names are on the Rez/ticket. Just tell the SCAs and Conductor the situation when they scan the tickets as the other guy boards in Topeka and Chicago.

You could get an Open Sleeping Car ticket but there's no real need to do this. Just book each trip for one way, not a Round trip!

His ( with both names on the rez) would be Topeka to Chicago on #4/CHI-WAS on #30, a 2 Zone AGR Award. Yours will be WAS-CHI on #29/#3 CHI- Topeka, a 2_Zone Award with both names on the rez.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tell the conductor the same thing you tell the SCA which is the same thing you'd tell the AGR agent when making the reservation: the truth just as you wrote it in your original post. They will probably give you an "open sleeper" ticket for boarding in Chicago. On the way back it's less complicated. Just book the return all the way to Topeka for both of you and when your brother boards the SWC in Chicago he can just tell them that you ended your trip in Chicago.

Remember to book it as two one way trips. You should be able to call and book both trips as long as you have his agr number and email address for verification. I've done that with using my points for one segment and my Dad's for another.

Have a good trip!

Is this an AGR award or a paid ticket? :huh:

If an AGR award, you DO NOT need an open sleeper ticket! You just need to book both reservations from Topeka to Washington & Washington to Topeka with BOTH names on the reservations! When he boards #3/4 if the Conductor asks where the other person is (which most times they don't), just say "He couldn't make the trip".

No problem! I've done it many times.

Thanks for the info fellas. That trip just fell through. Amazingly, another one took its place...heading to Glenwood Springs for a few days R&R with my lovely wife. Will probably do the Topeka-DC trip next year, though.

Back