Type of sleeper car on the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A M

I'm on the California Zephyr in March. Does anybody know if the current CZ consist has the Viewliner I or Viewliner II Sleeper cars? And does anybody have a preference between the two? Thank you.

I'm on the California Zephyr in March. Does anybody know if the current CZ consist has the Viewliner I or Viewliner II Sleeper cars? And does anybody have a preference between the two? Thank you.
The California Zephyr, as do all western long distance trains, uses Superliner (double-level) equipment.

My apologies for you using the wrong term. Do you know if the Superliner sleeper cars on the CZ are the newer ones (burgundy theme) or the older ones (blue theme)?

My apologies for you using the wrong term. Do you know if the Superliner sleeper cars on the CZ are the newer ones (burgundy theme) or the older ones (blue theme)?

There are no Burgundy theme Superliner Sleepers. The refurbished Superliner Sleepers look like this:

Superliner-Roomette-Daytime-1.jpg

The unrefurbished Superliner Sleepers have Blue cushions.

The Burgundy theme is only in Viewliner IIs at present. Not in Superliners.

AFAIK there is no way of telling a priori whether you will get a refurbished car or not.

I have added this link to the Amtrak Media Page to the pinned page for future easy reference at Amtrak Timetable and Train Information at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-timetables-and-train-information.80742/

Last edited:
Notwithstanding refreshed vs not yet refreshed, there are SL-1 and SL-2 and there are some differences, like closet vs open hanging area, differences in bathrooms, but probably nothing that the average passenger would see as a reason to want one over the other.

Notwithstanding refreshed vs not yet refreshed, there are SL-1 and SL-2 and there are some differences, like closet vs open hanging area, differences in bathrooms, but probably nothing that the average passenger would see as a reason to want one over the other.
Except an Older rehabbed I ( with the Improved Bathrooms)is much nicer than a long in the tooth newer II!

Same torpedo tube upper sleeping berth.
I think Pullman Standard did a great job designing the Superliner sleepers. The ceiling height is constrained by railroad specifications, but the Superliners are taller than the Budd-built bi-levels that preceded them.

It is easy to identify whether a Superliner is a I or II from the outside if the trucks are visible. This might be seen on a video before catching a train so that one could know what kind of sleepers are being used. I think the difference is described as the I's being fabricated while the II's are cast (please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Here's a Superliner I truck:

IMG_7582.jpeg

This is a Superliner II truck:

IMG_7580.jpeg

In addition, but not as easily visible, the Superliner I's have a row of rivets on the outside approximately half-way up. In the photo below, the car on the right is a Superliner I. Sleeper 32112 is Superliner II that received a "light" rehabilitation, in that the carpet on the walls was replaced with faux-wood paneling:

IMG_7581.jpeg

Interior view of Sleeper 32112:

IMG_7596.jpeg

I think Pullman Standard did a great job designing the Superliner sleepers. The ceiling height is constrained by railroad specifications, but the Superliners are taller than the Budd-built bi-levels that preceded them.

It is easy to identify whether a Superliner is a I or II from the outside if the trucks are visible. This might be seen on a video before catching a train so that one could know what kind of sleepers are being used. I think the difference is described as the I's being fabricated while the II's are cast (please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Here's a Superliner I truck:

View attachment 26941

This is a Superliner II truck:

View attachment 26939

In addition, but not as easily visible, the Superliner I's have a row of rivets on the outside approximately half-way up. In the photo below, the car on the right is a Superliner I. Sleeper 32112 is Superliner II that received a "light" rehabilitation, in that the carpet on the walls was replaced with faux-wood paneling:

View attachment 26940

Interior view of Sleeper 32112:

View attachment 26942

Good view of the trucks. I’m not an expert on suspension, looking at the two types of trucks I can see that #1 has a cantilever type spring, 1 spring for both wheels. Where #2 has dual springs. Which works best, I don’t know.

The Superliner II trucks deliver a better ride, and from what I understand they are easier to maintain (I think the design of the Superliner II trucks is common to other cars too).
Superliner IIs use more or less standard GSI-G70 trucks, similar to the ones that Horizons and Viewliners run on too.

Superliner Is run on (German) Waggon Union MD-76 trucks.

Last edited:
Superliner IIs use more or less standard GSI-G70 trucks, similar to the ones that Horizons and Viewliners run on too.

Superliner Is run on (German) Waggon Union MD-76 trucks.

The Superliner I cars built by P-S ride on Waggon-Union MD-76 trucks, which require more frequent overhauls than comparable domestic designs and are "notorious for their rough riding characteristics." The Bomardier-built, using P-S design Superliner IIs ride on GSI-G70 outboard bearing trucks, also found on the Horizon single-level cars. Both models have a maximum speed of 100 mph.

I think the MD-76 trucks compromise the durability of the whole car.

Last edited:
The Bomardier-built, using P-S design Superliner IIs ride on GSI-G70 outboard bearing trucks, also found on the Horizon single-level cars. Both models have a maximum speed of 100 mph.
The Horizon cars are actually cleared for 125mph, as are the VL-IIs which also use GSI trucks. Yes I know, there is a Wikipedia page that says otherwise and it is wrong. 🤷‍♂️

OTOH it is true that all Superliners have a maximum speed of 100mph.

Last edited:
The Horizon cars are actually cleared for 125mph, as are the VL-IIs which also use GSI trucks. Yes I know, there is a Wikipedia page that says otherwise and it is wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Indeed. They’ve been running 110 in Michigan for 10 years, and even made the occasional appearance on NEC service in the early 2010s.

Unless, by “both models” they meant Superliner I & II, not Superliner II & Horizon.

Back