Unchecked baggage on a viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
My granddaughter and I are taking a trip from California to New York, DC and Virginia in June. On our return trip, one segment will be from Manassas to Chicago. We have never ridden in a viewliner roomette and are wondering what we will do with our suitcase, since MSS has no baggage check.

We usually each take a backpack or small duffle as our carry on and share one medium to large suitcase for the rest of our stuff we will be using during our stay in Virginia. Can anyone give me the the dimensions of the overhead storage in our roomette?

The backpacks may also fit under the two seats--but you'll want to take out anything you might use overnight before the beds come down. Once the bottom bunk is down, you won't have much luck reaching them.

If you're putting a suitcase in the cubby, it can be awkward to get it there. Sometimes it's easier to place it on the top bunk temporarily and then slide it across.

My experience has also been that the SCA will take and either tag or store your bag in/near the baggage car, if you're in sleeper.

One of my trip in a viewliner, the SCA put unchecked luggage in the unused handicap room.

Viewliner roomettes have more internal space than Superliner roomettes; I've fit two smallish suitcases in the cubby.

I fit 2 wheeled (airline) carry on bags in the cubby. That seemed to be all it could hold. They did hang over the bar and stuck out slightly into the room.

Just to add some personal experience...

I can slide a hard-side "weekend" luggage piece, under one of the seats. When its later converted into a bed, I can still access it by reaching under, sliding it toward the center of the bed, and then out. While I only have once such piece of luggage, I don't see any reason why one could not put a second piece under the other seat.

I can strap a full size backpack into the wall, to the side of the door opposite of the toilet/sink. There are seatbelt like buckles on the wall there, that can be used for such. I just route those belts thru the backpack's frame.

As mentioned, one can stuff a lot into the cubby located over the hallway.

Hallo,

I am a newbie from Europe on this forum:

We(two adults) will travel in a viewliner roomette from New York to Chicago with two (soft) Samsonite suitecases on wheels :

length 66cm (26 inch)

height 40 cm (15,8 inch)

depht 25 cm (10 inch)

Also two smaller bags.

Will this fit in a roomette?

Thank you very much

Hallo,

I am a newbie from Europe on this forum:

We(two adults) will travel in a viewliner roomette from New York to Chicago with two (soft) Samsonite suitecases on wheels :

length 66cm (26 inch)

height 40 cm (15,8 inch)

depht 25 cm (10 inch)

Also two smaller bags.

Will this fit in a roomette?

Thank you very much
There is also Checked Luggage between New York to Chicago. Checked Luggage is carried in the train's Baggage Car. Possibly, you can redistribute your belongings, taking only what you need while on the train in your two smaller bags, and check the rest.

Hallo cho cho Charlie,

I know the possibility to check in,but my wife likes to have acces to the suitcases during the trip. That's the reason of the question. We know in a Superliner is enough space on the lower floor. We remember it from many, many years ago. The viewliner is new for us!

Thanks

If you were fine in a Superliner, you'll be fine. Viewliner is basically the same, except with more head room, a nicer upper berth and a nice sized storage cubby over the hallway.

Worst comes to worse, you can always sneak larger luggage into a Amfleet II coach. There is a luggage rack in the front of the car and plenty of space behind the last seats.

When I travel with a folding bike, I do this rather than hassle the sleeping car attendant.

If you were fine in a Superliner, you'll be fine. Viewliner is basically the same, except with more head room, a nicer upper berth and a nice sized storage cubby over the hallway.
But with no common luggage rack in the car, which the person used to store luggage on the Superliners.
That being said, I've fit at least two carry on size luggage bags up top with some room to spare. And if worse comes to worst, they can be stored in a coach a few cars down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps change your rez from Manassas to Alexandria then take VRE up to ALX and catch the Cardinal there. VRE only runs on weekdays, so that would not work if you're boarding on the weekend. Or maybe take your checked bag up to ALX the day before.

Perhaps change your rez from Manassas to Alexandria then take VRE up to ALX and catch the Cardinal there. VRE only runs on weekdays, so that would not work if you're boarding on the weekend. Or maybe take your checked bag up to ALX the day before.
good idea, Betty, except that my destination - Chico - also has no baggage service. That's no problem once we get to Chicago, since the rest of our trip will be on Superliners. But after seeing all the responses, I'm not worried about it. Especially since it might be possible to put the larger piece in coach.
Now I've got to convince Miki she needs to pack light! Not easy for a 14 year old girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back